Any one using a firestic in the DR?

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
Been using it for last two years. Get Youtube TV with NYC stations as well as Netflix.
PIA is my VPN, loaded on stick. Can't fool Prime, though!.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
I'm waiting for apples wifi its coming soon . all you need to do is buy an iphone and you get free wifi , no more providers

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
from what I'm told from the einstein's I hang out with ... everything will work off their satellites it will be global.. it will be the end of the providers
Lol

No Place Like Home

Jul 9, 2013
I purchased a firestick and it seems to be ok. I need a recommendation for a VPN that works with a firestick in the DR. Google reveals several but I would like to hear from someone actually using one here in the DR with a firestick. I often get not available at your location etc.,, on lots of items. thanks

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I purchased a firestick and it seems to be ok. I need a recommendation for a VPN that works with a firestick in the DR. Google reveals several but I would like to hear from someone actually using one here in the DR with a firestick. I often get not available at your location etc.,, on lots of items. thanks
If it is to overcome geolocation blocking for streaming services I've personally used:

Although you do get a VPN as part of your subscription fee (if you choose to activate it at no extra charge) Smart DNS Proxy is smart DNS technology that circumvents geolocation blocking without the bandwidth limitation of a traditional VPN. Just configure the DNS IP address at your device for local usage or configure your router to use the provided DNS for network wide use and you are set. It's been a while since I last used it but it work well with the streaming services I tried -- Netflix, Prime and Hulu.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019

I use it with Stream VPN and it works perfectly. Netflix prefers you not to have the VPN loaded, but Netflix works fine with or without a Firestick.

I like it especially if I'm going to stay in a hotel or an AirBnb, just take your firestick plug in and you're back to your TV as normal.

Reactions: NotLurking

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I use it with Stream VPN and it works perfectly. Netflix prefers you not to have the VPN loaded, but Netflix works fine with or without a Firestick.

I like it especially if I'm going to stay in a hotel or an AirBnb, just take your firestick plug in and you're back to your TV as normal.
Excellent point on the easy of taking your TV with you in your pocket. Nice!

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Is it any good? Worth the money?
I have the Lite, the 4k and the 4k Max. They are all worth what I paid for them. The benefit that the 4k max offers for the price is the one I find least appealing. The lite was the best bang for the buck. I purchased it as a reconditioned (customer return) unit for US$19.99 with the remote able to control the TV and Alexa. To watch your Netflix, Prime or other mainstream streaming service the Fire Stick is ready to go with little effort.

To install non Amazon supported software you'll need to jump through a few hoops but nothing overly complicated. You can install software like Kodi to view many tv shows, movies, sports or IPTV for free but with perhaps some effort and upkeep. You can also install software like TiviMate to view paid IPTV services from third party subscription such as is offered by a member of this community @gregvolt. Some members here have subscriptions with him and are quite please with his service and his support. He offers a mega channel subscription package ranging in the thousands of channels for a no hassle viewing experience. The service cost a very modest/reasonable fee of US$8 for the first device and US$4 for each additional device. Here is the thread where he offers and describes his service:

Buzzard

Feb 28, 2004
Costambar
See post #3 (PIA VPN).

gregvolt

May 15, 2022
new york
I have the Lite, the 4k and the 4k Max. They are all worth what I paid for them. The benefit that the 4k max offers for the price is the one I find least appealing. The lite was the best bang for the buck. I purchased it as a reconditioned (customer return) unit for US$19.99 with the remote able to control the TV and Alexa. To watch your Netflix, Prime or other mainstream streaming service the Fire Stick is ready to go with little effort.

To install non Amazon supported software you'll need to jump through a few hoops but nothing overly complicated. You can install software like Kodi to view many tv shows, movies, sports or IPTV for free but with perhaps some effort and upkeep. You can also install software like TiviMate to view paid IPTV services from third party subscription such as is offered by a member of this community @gregvolt. Some members here have subscriptions with him and are quite please with his service and his support. He offers a mega channel subscription package ranging in the thousands of channels for a no hassle viewing experience. The service cost a very modest/reasonable fee of US$8 for the first device and US$4 for each additional device. Here is the thread where he offers and describes his service:
One thing about the firestick light. It is very tricky to get it to install non amazon apps. There was some weird combination of keys to press on the remote before you could even get to a secret menu that enables the other menu you need to get to. I went through it with one customer and they were finally able to get it but I'm not even sure exactly what they were pressing because we were texting in WhatsApp and I couldn't see exactly what they were doing.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Been using it for last two years. Get Youtube TV with NYC stations as well as Netflix.
PIA is my VPN, loaded on stick. Can't fool Prime, though!.
You can if you know which VPN and the settings (location) that they let through

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
One thing about the firestick light. It is very tricky to get it to install non amazon apps. There was some weird combination of keys to press on the remote before you could even get to a secret menu that enables the other menu you need to get to. I went through it with one customer and they were finally able to get it but I'm not even sure exactly what they were pressing because we were texting in WhatsApp and I couldn't see exactly what they were doing.
Yes the newer Fire Stick lite don't have the Developer's menu activated by default as its prior version did. They now work just like a regular android phone. To activate the Developer's menu you go to about and click several times on the device's name (Fire Stick Lite in this case) until a message pops up notifying that the Developer's menu is activated.
1656430463965.png

Then you get this:

1656430483438.png

After this you can proceed with installation as usual. If this doesn't work for some reason then you'll need to access the hidden developer's tool menu which is a much more complicated affair. A google search with the following term: Fire Stick developer tool hidden menu, should get you a couple of tutorials on how to activated it.

Had to redo post, I left personal info on one of the screen shots.