Thinking About Flying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
Any who blames the pilot shortage on getting or not getting a vaccine is wrong. The shortage started way before the vaccine issue. Again, when the airlines cut back/not flying, early retirement was offered, and many seasoned pilots took this opportunity. This is no secret. This is what began the shortage. No timeline, no idea of when operations would return to normal, eligible pilots took the offer. As did many flight attendants, but that was not overly publicized. And here we are. I am not one to "over post" my opinion. But in this case the facts are facts. The airline/pilot shortage started way before vaccines came into the picture on many different levels. We are now seeing the consequences of this.

Reactions: AlaPlaya

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Any who blames the pilot shortage on getting or not getting a vaccine is wrong. The shortage started way before the vaccine issue. Again, when the airlines cut back/not flying, early retirement was offered, and many seasoned pilots took this opportunity. This is no secret. This is what began the shortage. No timeline, no idea of when operations would return to normal, eligible pilots took the offer. As did many flight attendants, but that was not overly publicized. And here we are. I am not one to "over post" my opinion. But in this case the facts are facts. The airline/pilot shortage started way before vaccines came into the picture on many different levels. We are now seeing the consequences of this.
The airlines cut back/not flying because of the pandemic.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
On top of pilots taking early retirement, there were the normal mandatory retirements. Add to this those pilots working towards the required 1500 hours who temporarily were now out of work, student pilots who saw no need to continue working towards getting their licenses, and demand returning much faster than anticipated - and here we are. The vaccines had nothing to do with it.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
On top of pilots taking early retirement, there were the normal mandatory retirements. Add to this those pilots working towards the required 1500 hours who temporarily were now out of work, student pilots who saw no need to continue working towards getting their licenses, and demand returning much faster than anticipated - and here we are. The vaccines had nothing to do with it.
Nothing at the start but the vaccine mandate certainly did have a negative effect on Pilot retention.

Reactions: chico bill

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
Yep I'm sure that neither vaccine nor mandates have had any bearing on the current flight situation. It is as clear a mud.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
The first article had nothing to do with retention of pilots(?). The second one only talks about resistance to the vaccine mandates. No mention of anyone quitting or being fired because of them.

According to the article by Business Insider that I posted in #56, United only fired 6 pilots for refusing to take the vaccine. Hardly enough to cause a pilot shortage.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006

Correct.

A couple things you didn't mention is that the airlines were already in semi-panic mode due to the upcoming Baby-Boomer shortage and less Military pilots entering the commercial market. All airlines were scrambling to fill those voids when the pandemic hit.

And the gov't paying people to stay home hurt the return to normalcy a lot. Those gate agents, baggage handlers, ground crews haven't returned yet because of all that free money. Airlines job one is move as many people as possible, as efficiently as possible. Forced vaccines are a small part of the current problems.

Reactions: keepcoming

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
It is true that when the virus escaped from the Wuhan lab and started to infect the world, the world shut down and many pilots retired.
NPR simply stated that some pilot unions pushed back on vaccines. Perhaps a very small factor in the scheme of shortage of pilots.

With more drones and fewer pilots in the military. the training for commercial pilots after they leave the military is drying up like the land in the state in the USA where I used to live. As the recent Top Gun movie indicated, military pilots will become extinct and airlines will have to train them on their own.

Reactions: NanSanPedro

Big

Apr 24, 2019
It is true that when the virus escaped from the Wuhan lab and started to infect the world, the world shut down and many pilots retired.
NPR simply stated that some pilot unions pushed back on vaccines. Perhaps a very small factor in the scheme of shortage of pilots.

With more drones and fewer pilots in the military. the training for commercial pilots after they leave the military is drying up like the land in the state in the USA where I used to live. As the recent Top Gun movie indicated, military pilots will become extinct and airlines will have to train them on their own.
excellent point. The military has also been outsourcing more missions to civilian air carriers to move equipment and troops.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016

One error Windy - I believe it was and intentional release, not an 'escape'

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
The son of a black man from Kenya was our recent two term president. What else do you have?
...the other fella played the sex and got caught getting his ____ ____ed in the white house yet he didn't lose his job. Now that's what i call privilige, lol.

• Haha
Reactions: NanSanPedro

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
4468CA4C-9DD3-44D1-9F84-88307D835CD9.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.