Need Recommend Courier Service for Cigars U.S. < D.R.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
retired English teacher (30 years)
I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with Domex costumer service. My rare costumer support interactions with Domex have been acceptable.

I just called Domex Miami at 1-305-599-3939 and spoke with Roberto. He tells me that the limit is ten (10) cigars. That is, if you ship ten cigars or less to DR there is no issue. The conversation was quick and pleasant.
I am very grateful for your efforts on my behalf as well as other members who might benefit from this information. I will take this result on faith and register with Domex. I have also noted the name and phone number. Thanks again.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
I am very grateful for your efforts on my behalf as well as other members who might benefit from this information. I will take this result on faith and register with Domex. I have also noted the name and phone number. Thanks again.
You are welcome. Domex has a very comprehensive online package tracking system. They also send you an email once the package is available for payment. You can pay online once your package is available and choose to pick it up or have it home delivered.

If you are having friends ship you anything including cigars a bill of sale must accompany the package. It is a DR customs requirement. Try to keep the total price listed on the bill of sale under US$200 to avoid paying import duties (aranceles). Also the DGA is requiring anyone that wishes to receive packages through a courier service should / must register with DGA. Good day.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
@NotLurking Hello! I just completed registration at Domex and received a cofirmatory email with my password to login. However, my login fails because I never was given the opportunity to choose a user name. I used my account name but that fails too. So this is a website failure. The only option is "forgot password" which I did not do. I'll eventually figure this out, contact the company tomorrow, etc. But any ideas??

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
@NotLurking Hello! I just completed registration at Domex and received a cofirmatory email with my password to login. However, my login fails because I never was given the opportunity to choose a user name. I used my account name but that fails too. So this is a website failure. The only option is "forgot password" which I did not do. I'll eventually figure this out, contact the company tomorrow, etc. But any ideas??
They have to assign a password too. They'll get you up and running tomorrow.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
Once they create your account, ask them to give you an username and password so you can use their services and pay online if you choose. LUCAS61: Sorry hit the wrong keyboard key and messed up my response. The automated email gave me a pasword but failed to give me a user name. So I'll have to sort it out tomorrow and hope these people take care of business.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
The login combination is your Domex ID a number that look like this: D01-XXXXXXX plus your chosen password.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
No the law hasn’t changed. They they just don’t open every package.
I can’t imagine you hadn’t think of this reason.
Maybe the reason is your courier has this rule. Is is listed anywhere on the Govt. site? Not all couriers work the same.............

NachoBroadway

Jan 3, 2017
Dominican cigars are 30% more expensive than in USA due to taxes. Unless you're buying cubans which are ultra overpriced.
I only buy cigars in DR if they're limited edition like the Arturo Fuente Pinks or impossible to find here.

cavok

Silver
Jun 16, 2014
Cabarete
I was in BM Cargo in Sosua the other day and I asked the manager. She said Aduanas does not allow cigars to be shipped into the country, but they might let some loose ones slip through.

Lucas61

Jun 13, 2014
@Not Lurking: Hello. The wonderful Padron (of Nicaragua) cigars, gifted by my family, arrived today. The shipping process was smooth as butter. I think that the tracking is more granular (to the minute) and frequent that that of Vimenpaq. For the benefit of other members who might be comparing courier services, when you check your Vimenpaq order you must login to the website. That's customary. But Domex has a better way. When they receive the order, they send you an email with a "Ver Status" link. You just keep that in your inbox, click on that link for real time updates. The updates were much more plentiful than for Vimenpaq.

My pickup point was in San Carlos close to where I live and there were no issues there. And, best of all, there were no issues with La Aduana or the shipping of cigars (Vimenpaq blocked an order of a mere five cigars. I received 8 cigars for around $180.00, primo of the primo. I told my family "the rule": less than $200.00 and less than 10 cigars.

I will continue to use Vimenpaq as I never had a problem with small orders from them (except for cigars) but I will use Domex for my cigar orders and I will also use them next time, God forbid, I must place an order > $200.00 that will be taxed by customs. If and when that happens, I will compare Vimenpaq with Domex and see if Domex "pads the bill" aka steals money as Vimenpaq does. Then I will know the truth. But, meanwhile, COOL! Thank you @NotLurking!

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
@Not Lurking: Hello. The wonderful Padron (of Nicaragua) cigars, gifted by my family, arrived today. The shipping process was smooth as butter. I think that the tracking is more granular (to the minute) and frequent that that of Vimenpaq. For the benefit of other members who might be comparing courier services, when you check your Vimenpaq order you must login to the website. That's customary. But Domex has a better way. When they receive the order, they send you an email with a "Ver Status" link. You just keep that in your inbox, click on that link for real time updates. The updates were much more plentiful than for Vimenpaq.

My pickup point was in San Carlos close to where I live and there were no issues there. And, best of all, there were no issues with La Aduana or the shipping of cigars (Vimenpaq blocked an order of a mere five cigars. I received 8 cigars for around $180.00, primo of the primo. I told my family "the rule": less than $200.00 and less than 10 cigars.
Remember Domex has free home delivery. No need to go to an office to pick up packages.

NotLurking

Bronze
Jul 21, 2003
Sto Dgo Este
@Lucas61 glad it worked out for you but why did you pick the cigars up in person? They have home delivery. I bet you just wanted to smoke one of them bad boys and couldn't wait LOL. I used Domex exclusively. I've been doing so since they started their courier service. My membership number is low since their membership numbers were sequential when they started issuing them. That's how long I've been with them and a testament to their good service. I learned of them when I renewed my US passport about a decade ago, They are the official courier of the US embassy in SD to distribute renewed passport around the DR. Oh just remembered I'm up for renewable of my passport again, yuck. Thanks for the update.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas