San Pedro de Macorís Crime and Traffic

Apr 8, 2022
Miami
Good morning everyone,
I will be traveling to the DR next week and will stay in an apartment close to SPM. My question is should I get groceries in Jumbo or Iberia in SPM or should go to the same stores in La Romana. How is the traffic and crime in this 2 towns? I went to SPM once and traffic was horrible and lots of hustlers on the street when they realize you are not from town. I have never been to La Romana which is my other choice to go get groceries. Please advice asap. Thank you very much for all you do. 😊

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
Good morning everyone,
I will be traveling to the DR next week and will stay in an apartment close to SPM. My question is should I get groceries in Jumbo or Iberia in SPM or should go to the same stores in La Romana. How is the traffic and crime in this 2 towns? I went to SPM once and traffic was horrible and lots of hustlers on the street when they realize you are not from town. I have never been to La Romana which is my other choice to go get groceries. Please advice asap. Thank you very much for all you do. 😊

Two of the worst cities on the island IMHO, why even go there? Love? Anyway of the two, La Romana slightly better I say

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
I have virtually no experience with La Romana. However when I lived in SPM we were within walking distance of Jumbo. Never an issue there. Noise was almost non-existent in our non-gated enclave. I never drove there and didn't notice traffic being bad. The biggest downside is that the Malecon in SPM is not beachy at all. It's muy rocky.

Nothing wrong with Iberia either, just Jumbo was so close there was no reason to go there.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Good morning everyone,
No one will do that to you at Jumbo, Plaza Lama, or La Sirena in La Romana. Nor at Orense, Iberia, or Hiper. I have had a house there for 10 years. My wife and daughters live there. I go to Jumbo, Plaza Lama, and La Sirena all the time. I doubt it is worth the trip tho if the other places are closer. Street crime in La Romana is a different story. Prevalent. Especially in certain areas.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
I should add, since you asked, that traffic in La Romana is terrible too. But, if you are staying at Playa Nueva Romana, you would be coming into La Romana from the west on the highway to Villa Hermosa where the autopista curves north and goes around La Romana. From Villa Hermosa it is city street with trraffic. La Sirena is in Multiplaza. You would not actually get to the denser parts of La Romana or the center. For Plaza Lama or Jumbo you would be fighting traffic. But, long drive from Playa Nueva Romana for not much advantage I would say.

laromana.jpg

Apr 8, 2022
Miami
Good evening Franco111,
Thank you for your reply. Basically, since I am staying at Playa Nueva Romana and I am closer to San Pedro, your advice is just to do groceries and buy food in Iberia’s or Jumbo’s instead of driving to La Romana where traffic is as bad as San Pedro?? If yes please confirm because I did not understand.
Also, How about crime and the ambushes with motorcycles that hit you so you have to stop and get off the car? Do you think my wife and I will be more exposed walking around in La Romana or in San Pedro? I also wanted to pass by the Pasteles Amable in SPM. Any advice? Is it better to skip it? Thank you again for your time.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
What I am saying is that if you go to La Sirena, Jumbo, or Plaza Lama in La Romana you will be treated well. No street hustlers on the premises, shoppers polite for the most part. All these stores are clean and reasonably well run. What I was trying to say is that it is kind of a long drive from Playa Nueva Romana to La Sirena for example. Farther and worse traffic if you wanted to go to Jumbo or Plaza Lama. So, I was suggesting it might be better to just go to SPM. I don't know that town well, so can't speak to any downside.

You intend to walk around in La Romana? Not the best idea if you don't want some kind of encounter you are not prepared for. Except maybe near where the cruise ships dock. (There is only room for one at a time.). That area for about three blocks is more or less safe because there is Cestur. Tourist police. But, that does not stop the occasional stupid thief from grabbing things from tourists. Anywhere outside of that area be alert. It is common for two ignorant punks on a Chinese motor to steal from you. Not just from tourists but anyone they think they can intimidate. Most frequently, in fact, Dominicans. Case in point, my wife. She's Dominican and knows how to handle herself. She was robbed at gunpoint in December two years ago. In our nieghborhood which is pretty decent. She knows enough not to argue with a punk with a pistol. We got her stuff back, you can read that post if you look for it. Don't be scared, just careful. And, don't go to Villa Verde, Villa Hermosa, or any other neighborhood you don't know. Centro is ok. There is a park there. But, you will be a target. Terrible traffic in Centro, of course. Stick to Playa Nueva Romana I think. For now.

I will let others give you advice about the ambush thing.

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Ok. One more. So, my wife isn't stupid. She is a well-respected professional among her peers. But, she likes to take the bus when the Maserati is in the shop ;) So, one day she takes the bus. Gives the cobrador quiniento pesos because she does not have change. Typical. The cobrador gets off the bus to change the bill at a gas station. This is typical too because they sometimes don't have change either. Except he's not the cobrador:ROFLMAO:. And never gets back on the bus. Se fue. Her quiniento pesos. One of the lesser crimes I have heard of. But, typical of any fine city.

Apr 8, 2022
Miami
Hi again,
That was a good anecdote about your wife and the money collector. Anyways, I will not be taking buses. I will rent a car and will try to visit a few places like Cueva de las Maravillas, Altos de Chavon, Pasteles Amable en SPM, and the Zona Colonial in Santo Domingo . Do you think those places may be safe to walk around and visit? Is police patrolling tourist areas at least or I shouldn’t count on that? I understand that I should not be walking around in La Romana which surprises me. I thought it would be safe since Casa de Campo is nearby. Thank you.

Reactions: Gadfly

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Zona Colonial is a major tourist area.
Always use caution when on the street.
Police are always reactive.
And by that I mean you look for them after something happens to you.
Unlikely you will be engaged by a criminal and they happen to be on the scene.
But while in Zona Colonial you are more likely to be hustled than hit by a strong arm robbery.
But that also depends on where you wind up.
Be smart ‼️

franco1111

Bronze
May 29, 2013
Gringo
Hi again,
That was a good anecdote about your wife and the money collector. Anyways, I will not be taking buses. I will rent a car and will try to visit a few places like Cueva de las Maravillas, Altos de Chavon, Pasteles Amable en SPM, and the Zona Colonial in Santo Domingo . Do you think those places may be safe to walk around and visit? Is police patrolling tourist areas at least or I shouldn’t count on that? I understand that I should not be walking around in La Romana which surprises me. I thought it would be safe since Casa de Campo is nearby. Thank you.
I think you will be fine. Just be alert. And, stay where there are people. Altos de Chavon is great in an artificial sort of way. But, nice anyway. There is a good museum where you can see some history of the Tainos, etc. Our kids have gone on field trips there. And, it is in Casa de Campo. Jumbo is near Casa de Campo too, so safer than many places. But, Casa de Campo is it's own place. Gated and protected. There is real wealth there. But, another recent story, a foreign business person, a resident, was murdered there recently inside. RIP. I think you will actually enjoy your stay. This is a beautiful place with good people and great beaches.

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
If you are coming to Santo Domingo check out:

EASTSIDE ‼️

HDR

Nov 21, 2012
Good morning everyone,

Just going there because it is closer to the apartment than I will rent. I will be staying in Playa Nueva Romana. Thank you.
That will be nice! And nice golf course!!

Gadfly

Jul 7, 2016
Hi again,
Ditto first 3 sentences post #15. Read and memorize. Include do not wear jewelry, dress like locals. SPM is ok, pasteles amables is good I been there a lot, freezing a/c, across from central park, lots of locals. Feels fairly safe. I’ve strolled colonial zone including at night, felt pretty safe.

RDKNIGHT

Bronze
Mar 13, 2017
Stay out of SPM its a sh@@ hole filled with pollution and dirtbags . motos . i only go there if meeting someone from the baseball world...