Switching to Electric Cars in The DR

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I saw EV stations being installed at Playero & Super Pola in Sosua y'day.... both brand new

Painting the parking lines....

Progress on the north coast

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
I saw EV stations being installed at Playero & Super Pola in Sosua y'day.... both brand new

There have been two charging stations at Nacional Punta Cana for about 2 years now. Have never seen a car there yet.........

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete

They have both been there for over a year but I have never seen a car hooked up to them....seen many people trying to connect their phones though :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Lucifer
Jan 9, 2004

The progress will continue too.

If you look back at the history in the Automotive space, you will find what the naysayers said regarding "filling" stations. Too few and far between to be practical. The horse and wagon/buggy will never be replaced...........to easy to find hay for the horses in what was then a dominant agrarian US economy. ICE vehicles were a fad that would fade.

I am continually amazed at the adoption of EV's by the DR motoring public. Having spoken with one of the larger EV players in Santo Domingo, most drivers opt for a home charger and use their other ICE vehicle on longer intra-island trips.

Now if only the DR would provide tax incentives for hybrids and not just full EV's, they could lower their appetite for expensive imported oil/gasoline.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: JD Jones

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
They have both been there for over a year but I have never seen a car hooked up to them....seen many people trying to connect their phones though :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I challenge you on that Tee..... these are spanking brand new.....not 1 yr old....Playero/Super Pola

Reactions: tee

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I would like to point out to all that think EV's are the savior of the 🇩🇴 that electricity that is used to power them is generated by fossil fuels. Can somebody tell me where the oil and natural gas reserves are here in the Dominican Republic?

That being said, I would be pleased to add a EV to my fleet once my home solar charge station is completed. And continue to keep my ICE vehicles for when I have to do real work and trips.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
I challenge you on that Tee..... these are spanking brand new.....not 1 yr old....Playero/Super Pola
Challenge accepted....please see link regarding Playero in October 2020 , La Pola in Sosua had theirs installed in September, 2020 which was mentioned here in DR1. As far as I know, the ones that are there today are the same as the ones installed back in 2020...they might look new as they are never used!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Ok, Ok….. I concede!

I had never noticed them before and they were roped off… as in just finished installation
Yes, I frequent Playero and have been there since last October

Just blind , I guess

Reactions: tee

jinty05

Bronze
Feb 11, 2005
The progress will continue too.

If you look back at the history in the Automotive space, you will find what the naysayers said regarding "filling" stations. Too few and far between to be practical. The horse and wagon/buggy will never be replaced...........to easy to find hay for the horses in what was then a dominant agrarian US economy. ICE vehicles were a fad that would fade.

I am continually amazed at the adoption of EV's by the DR motoring public. Having spoken with one of the larger EV players in Santo Domingo, most drivers opt for a home charger and use their other ICE vehicle on longer intra-island trips.

Now if only the DR would provide tax incentives for hybrids and not just full EV's, they could lower their appetite for expensive imported oil/gasoline.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2
Electric vehicles are totally inappropriate for driving in the DR with the exception of inner city journeys......far too expensive....fossil fuels will remain the number one preference for decades to come.

Jan 9, 2004
Electric vehicles are totally inappropriate for driving in the DR with the exception of inner city journeys......far too expensive....fossil fuels will remain the number one preference for decades to come.
I have brought in two dozen Nissan Leafs overall for a tourist project. While they are not yet appropriate for intra-island transportation, they are appropriate in their setting/use on the east coast.

As to expense, CEPM has some of the highest electricity rates in the country and the feedback has been the vehicles have exceeded expectations in terms of cost, range, etc.

ICE vehicles cannot be sold in the EU after 2035............other countries are following suit. EV's have about a 5% market in the US, but climbing steadily as more and more EV''s come to market.

ICE vehicles will likely still be around for decades, but as to number one for preference, I think that day ends in the next 10-15 years.

Lots of EV's currently operational in the DR and literally hundreds for sale and growing.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: JD Jones

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Anyone up in here posting on DR1 actually own a EV in the 🇩🇴 ❓

If so, give me the post number so I can check out your experience.

Gordonpsl

Aug 2, 2022
New Jersey
As of today, there are over 150 charging stations installed or in the process of being installed. The goal is to have 500 stations up and running at the end of 2021.

There is decent coverage now, and it will be getting better every day. Evergo is the company doing most of the installations:

Agreed there are more charging stations, but a friend of mine who sells auto parts told me outside of the capital, you won’t find many qualified mechanics who can service or repair one. So before I bought my car he said wait until the mechanics here become more familiar with them.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Agreed there are more charging stations, but a friend of mine who sells auto parts told me outside of the capital, you won’t find many qualified mechanics who can service or repair one. So before I bought my car he said wait until the mechanics here become more familiar with them.
You're right. That is a major concern.

I have seen some A/C shops that work on EV air conditioners.

Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
This is like when you first come here and learn (sometimes too late) that you need to buy a car that is popular here for the Service aspect. Toyota, Honda, Nissan, to name a few. You don't want to buy a Buick for example, as to get parts good luck........

Jan 9, 2004
They are on the whole much easier to service. No plugs to change, no oil to change, no radiator fluid to change, no exhaust. Maintenance is literally checking the brakes, tire pressure, suspension, A/C and changing the cabin filter. The biggest issue down the road is the battery replacement.

Software updates can be done via a wifi connection.

Once you understand and experience EV's, you realize just how simple they are.

The complicated part is all those sensors. But that is not unique to EV's. Starting in 2016/2017 all vehicles, not just EV's, have much more complicated and sophisticated chips that require expensive software to correctly service them...................unless a fix can be downloaded via the internet.

Cars are changing..........and rapidly and not necessarily better in many instances. It took literally half an hour on a touchscreen on my Acura RDX to figure out how to change from AM to FM. On my older Camry..............the touch of a button.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am not sure if I will ever own an electric car in the DR. If I were back home I probably already would have one as my local car.

Why not here? Price, price and price...