What a lovely building. Reminds me of New Orleans
I know the city well. Dozens of similar looking buildings
scattered across Orleans Parrish. I left for good six months
after losing my home to Katrina.

There is currently a ton of renovation going on throughout
the center of Santiago but I've not seen anything happening
with Hotel Mercedes. I did hear a rumor a few years ago a
group of local (Chinese) merchants were interested in turning
it into a shopping plaza with restaurants but nothing materialized.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I didn't watch the first video to the end, but I think they don't say where it is, which is a shame. I'm thinking maybe Jardin Deportivo/Camino de Sol near Cabarete possibly.

For me, Juan Dolio is one of the weirdest places for a mixture of top-end luxury apartments owned by the rich of Santo Domingo, right next to huge derelict blocks.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
The Decameron in Juan Dolio has been vacant and decaying for at least 8 years.

The Coral Costa Caribe was open and running in 2015, closed down but might be back up and running.

The Emotions resort there was closed down for a long time but someone invested in it and it was open since at least March as of this past weekend.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Come up near Playa Grande golf course and count the failed hotels.
The golf course never developed the way people hoped

They aren't large properties but nice little hotels
Why do you think there was no success? It’s one of the prettiest places on the island and I like it much more than Sosua/ Cabarete.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I'm not sure how much attention they gave it.
Some say high fees hurt it.

I know this -
It was designed on the early '70's and not built until early '90's.... that tells us something.

As a trivia question.... What was the last Trent Jones course built ?
Playa Grande

Very few people realize this.....Jones came in a wheelchair to see it..... very proud of it.
Better late than never !

Reactions: Auryn

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Why do you think there was no success? It’s one of the prettiest places on the island and I like it much more than Sosua/ Cabarete.
Cabrera is beautiful for sure.

I'd guess it's probably because the golf course is private and they don't allow non members to play there, unless that's changed.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
It was public for many years JD...... when it opened until 2010/11

Very private now.....exclusive !!
They are raking in the money there. No one on the course except people paying 10 Million or more for Villas. MJ is there frequently, as is Justin Thomas and a lot of other pros............

Reactions: JD Jones

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Remember, that land is 2400 Acres....... long way to go, lots more build....years & years

When Michael Douglas toured the property (and played golf) they ushered him towards the water and asked what land he'd like.
He turned around, pointed up on the hill and said - About 4 acres up there

Some like it up and away.... like me.... not too far from the water, close enough to see activity
Too far away and it just looks like a post card, a photo.... it need to be real, to have life
But I do NOT want on the water's edge....NEVER !!

Reactions: Farmer and JD Jones

Northern Coast Diver

Private Scuba Guide
Feb 23, 2020
Sosua
Most of the older small hotels did enjoy sucess when they opened. But their sucess dropped off as Punta Cana came on line. Before Punta Cana, there were two main tourist poles here, Puerto Plata, and Santo Domingo. Back then, Santiago didn't even have an airport.

• Wow
Reactions: CristoRey and Auryn

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Remember, that land is 2400 Acres....... long way to go, lots more build....years & years

When Michael Douglas toured the property (and played golf) they ushered him towards the water and asked what land he'd like.
He turned around, pointed up on the hill and said - About 4 acres up there

Some like it up and away.... like me.... not too far from the water, close enough to see activity
Too far away and it just looks like a post card, a photo.... it need to be real, to have life
But I do NOT want on the water's edge....NEVER !!
Plenty of land up there but it's all hard scrabble caliche. Don't know if they put in a water line yet but I doubt a well would be successful ?
Anyone know. I drove up a rough road there in 2010 - a house half finished, some say owned by a French woman who ran out of money and another one under construction. I need to get back there

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
Most of the older small hotels did enjoy sucess when they opened. But their sucess dropped off as Punta Cana came on line. Before Punta Cana, there were two main tourist poles here, Puerto Plata, and Santo Domingo. Back then, Santiago didn't even have an airport.
This answers my question, thank you. I’d take Río San Juan & Cabrera over PC any day of the week. I know I’m in the minority and that’s okay.

The influx of foreigners wanting something different than Sosua might start to wander that way. Who knows?

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
This answers my question, thank you. I’d take Río San Juan & Cabrera over PC any day of the week. I know I’m in the minority and that’s okay.

The influx of foreigners wanting something different than Sosua might start to wander that way. Who knows?

For me, the only downside of RSJ/Cabrera is the distance to quality medical attention in the event of an medical emergency.

If it wasn't for that, I would be living there already.