Newbe Questions??

michealkris1

Jan 24, 2010
Hello group and thank you in advance. It would be wonderful if you can help answer some of my Questions: I will be coming to the DR (Santo Domingo) for the month of March for the first time. I have lived in Trinidad and Tobago (Loved it!) and other Carib Countries as well as Philippines and Thailand so I am not stranger to traveling but I still get NERVOUS when I set on a new destination to explore.

Questions:

1. I speak English only (with a little survivor Spanish, Banos? LOL;) ).
Will this be a big problem in Santo Domingo? Thailand was great because they had "English Moochers" they would make friends with you for free English Lessons LOL!

2. Public Transportion? Is PT affordable? How much are Taxis? And do they use their meters?

Thanks in advance

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
I'll say, a fifth of the population in metropolitan areas would know some English, you'll get by.

Public transportation is very cheap, I know I've paid about 120 pesos for a taxi, and the route cars are about 15 pesos, I have not seen meters being used.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
The businesses in Santo Domingoi are used to dealing with English-speaking people.

I think the percentage of the people you will be dealing with who speak some English and understand more is higher than 1/5. There are many Dominicans who have studied English but don't use it because they can't speak English as well as they do Spanish. Make use of your survivor Spanish whenever yiou can, it will be appreciated

Lots of public transportation in Santo Domingo and it is inexpensive. The primary users are the very large percentage of Dominicans who don't have cars and they can't afford high prices.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Are you here for holiday or work? What area are you staying in, as it may be relevant to your English speaking and transit questions. If you are here for work, what area would you need to work in.
With these answers we may be able to shed more light and better advice for you.

michealkris1

Jan 24, 2010
EXPAT 13.

Thanks for the reply. Let me answer your questions.I am here for a holiday. I am far from a tourist though, I enjoy soaking up local culture and being apart of the local tapestry whenever I travel. I havent' found a place to stay yet (plan on coming the month of March) but I am trying to find a apartment to rent if possible (any suggestions, please let me know). Other than sleeping (LOL) and going to gym, I just want to take it easy and see what develops. I am pretty laid back and easy going. I would also like to check some housing/apartment prices outside Santo Domingo. This is something I usually do whenever I travel because I am looking at taking a early retirement in the near future to live overseas. and see what the numbers look like.

Ken2 and Deprasantana

You both mentioned how cheap transportation is in SD. Can you guessamate how much a 20 minute taxi ride cost? I want to be able to work out at the golds gym in SD and I am sure that I will have to travel daily for my workouts.

Also sense they do not use meters how do we know what the real and accurate fair is?? I got tooken in Philippines last year a few times because the taxi drivers did not use a meter but than I found out that it is the law that they have to and if they don't you just get out of the taxi and sorry buddy LOL :)

Thanks everyone in advance for all your help and good information.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The taxis charge a flat fee. Depending on the company and the quality of the cars (I use Apollo Taxi (809 537 0000) exclusively) and I pay between RD$125 and RD$150 for a trip. Usually, it the trip is complicated, I might tip a bit, butnever more than RD$25.
Also, "publicos", little rattletraps that follow a fixed route along major thoroughfares chagre a fixed rate, usually RD$15, but you don't want to take them unless you are really into local culture and will sit 5 to the back seat of a Corolla....(I saw 6 yesterday with two kids in mix)

HB