Metro Bus Sosua to Santiago

Status
Not open for further replies.

canuk8068

Sep 15, 2008
How much is the Metro Bus to Santiago?

Can I get a bus in the morning and return in the afternoon?

Is there any large shopping store like "Jumbo" near the Metro station in Santiago?

What else is near the Metro Station in Santiago?

Thanks

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Where are you going from? If from Sosua, buses leave at 8:20 and 10:20. Take one of those and return in the afternoon. You can also take Caribe Tours. One leaves Sosua hourly from the terminal in Charamicos at 20 mintues past the hour.

For either bus, you will need to take a taxi to shopping locations.

Jan 17, 2009
I always buy my ticket in such a hurry that can't tell the exact cost, but I believe it was around RD$140-160.

Near Metro in Santiago the only large place I remember now is Supermercados Nacional (my favorite). It's just a few blocks away from Metro.

I believe if you take Caribe Tours, you will be very close to Jumbo. Caribe Tours has two stops in Santiago. The first one is in Colinas. Colinas Mall is where Jumbo is (in addition to a regular large shopping mall). I never got off that stop though and don't know how many blocks away Colinas Mall is, but it can't be too far. (Colinas is a neighborhood). The second stop is one block away from Metro, in Jardines.

If you're planning to come back in Metro, the last bus leaves at 6:15pm. Before that one, you have one at 1:15pm. I don't think there any bus leaving in between those two.

A cab in Santiago from the bus stop will run you around RD$150 pretty much every where you may want to go. On your way back, you'll pay a bit less than that.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Close by the Metro or Caribe Tours Jardines stations are: 15 good restaurants, Nacional Supermarket, PriceSmart, Pola/La Sirena, Ochoa Hardware and anything else you might need.

All of these are as close to those two stations as Colinas Mall is to the Caribe Tour Station in Las Colinas. And they are in better parts of town...

HB

canuk8068

Sep 15, 2008
Thanks all!

Looks like I should check out where the Caribe tours terminal is in Charimicos

Thanks again

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That is easy: On the right side as you head out of town towards the airport. Next to the stoplight.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
And, to address one of your other questions, yes, if you get the earliest bus out of Sos?a, you will have time to run around Santiago and shop and make the last bus back to Sos?a...or the one before that, depending on your shopping needs.

Emi Taxis are about RD$125 to most places I have mentioned, but you have to call them at 809 581 3000...if you take a taxi from the stand at the bus terminals you pay RD$25 more, at least.

HB

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
We usually take the 10:20AM Metro from Sosua at the Texaco station. It's much closer than going all the way to Charamicos to catch Caribe. There are publicos like here which we pay around 25 pesos per person for. We also take cabs we just pick up but make sure we negotiate the rate before we get in and usually get them for RD120. National is a 2-3 block walk as is McDonalds and Burger King. Hache is a ride away as is Jumbo. I didn't find Jumbo to be different than La Sirena and the mall doesn't really have many stores. I think it's more fun to get a ride to downtown near Plaza Lama and shop the stores around there.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
We usually take the 10:20AM Metro from Sosua at the Texaco station. It's much closer than going all the way to Charamicos to catch Caribe. There are publicos like here which we pay around 25 pesos per person for. We also take cabs we just pick up but make sure we negotiate the rate before we get in and usually get them for RD120. National is a 2-3 block walk as is McDonalds and Burger King. Hache is a ride away as is Jumbo. I didn't find Jumbo to be different than La Sirena and the mall doesn't really have many stores. I think it's more fun to get a ride to downtown near Plaza Lama and shop the stores around there.

The Publicos in Santiago charge 15 Pesos per person, just so you know. You can get around quickly in these if you know where you are going. Also you might find a nice companion virtually sitting on your lap. LOL

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
The Publicos in Santiago charge 15 Pesos per person, just so you know. You can get around quickly in these if you know where you are going. Also you might find a nice companion virtually sitting on your lap. LOL

You're right. It was 15 pesos. Sometimes we splurge and buy an extra seat for those days when we want a little extra room. The last time we went we went to Jumbo for the first time. It was hard to get a cab back so we crossed the street and got a publico to La Sirena. We thought we were going to get dropped off at the large one but ended up at the downtown one. It was all good.

That's another thing about the publico. You get an extended ride. You might not always get to exactly where you are going to but it's all fun.

By the last bus back or 2nd to last bus we are more than ready to head back to the beach life!

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Call 809 581 3000

"Emi Taxi, te habla Mercedes (or some other name)"

"Gracias, necesito un taxi en la Sirena. Dile que buscar dos gringos en la salida" (Or wherevery you might be.)

"Bien, cinco minutos."

Adios.

Click

Anywhere in town...

HB

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
How do you differentiate to the driver the large La Sirena and the downtown one?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"Estoy en el Pola."
This would be better than "La Sirena de la Bartolom? Col?n."
La Sirena on Sol doesn't have groceries or the Pola grocery store...

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.