What shouldn't happen to 'a man's best friend'...

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
In amongst all the stories with ‘happy endings’ for our doggie friends, there are times when, very sadly, we come across the unlucky ones too.

No doubt , we who live in the DR and those who visit often, have seen the puppy vendors on the side of the highway, on the streets in town and even at the traffic lights in the cities. Many of the alleged pure-bred pups which are naturally cute (aren’t all puppies?) are indiscriminately bred for the sole purpose of profit without any care for the home to which they may go or the life that they may be on their way to endure. Whilst people continue to buy these dogs, either on the street, or through ‘a contact’ who knows a breeder, these people will continue to make money and breed indiscriminately without any thought for the wellbeing of the animals.

When I lived in the UK, I bred both Jack Russells and Labradors and had every intention of breeding from my youngest Labrador bitch when I arrived to live here in the DR. I soon reversed my thinking and had my bitch spayed. Unless being bred for a specific reason, i.e. to continue a notable ‘blood line’ or a specific purpose such as highly trained SAR / protection dogs, please don’t introduce any more dogs onto this island.

Continual efforts by many people ensure that the natural increase of the DR’s dog population is humanely controlled with spay/ neuter programmes and, despite these efforts, there are still numerous puppies, young and older dogs appealing for adoption – see the website of Asociaci?n De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sos?a, Inc. for many good examples.

What has prompted me to post this thread? Just in the early hours of today, the Rottweiler puppy pictured below was dumped on the driveway to AAAS / Judy’ Pet Lodge. He is riddled with screw worms, emaciated and may not survive and it also appears that someone had tied his mouth shut! His only saving grace is that he has ‘bright eyes’ so I have nicknamed him Hazel (reference: Watership Down).

I know we can’t save them all but, surely, we can help to prevent atrocities like this one....

I apologise if anyone finds my words or this pup’s photograph offensive.

23vb094.jpg

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
It should not happen!

Thanks WB. For all that you have done.

Not a picture that any of us whats to see. But it happens.

I posted a thread about AAAS that has done so much to educate people and help the animals.

AAAS needs everyones help..... so do the animals.

Thanks, Ringo

tiryt

Jan 16, 2010
my visit to R.D.

I am an animal lover and i had a very hard time when i was in the rd. I asked our tour guide why they are treated as they are, is it because of poverty or just they way it is and he said it is just the way the people are. this makes me sad because the love that they could receive if they were willing to care for these animals is lost. it was not just the dogs though, it was the cats and the horses too. I wish i understood this issue better because i do feel it has to do with the poverty in the nation more then they admit. i think that animals are expendable and thus not part of the family like they are in the states. my wishes and prayers go out to you and what you do. if you ever want some one to document what you do, let me know, i am a documentary photographer and cant Waite to come back to the RD. :ermm:

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
I am an animal lover and i had a very hard time when i was in the rd. I asked our tour guide why they are treated as they are, is it because of poverty or just they way it is and he said it is just the way the people are. this makes me sad because the love that they could receive if they were willing to care for these animals is lost. it was not just the dogs though, it was the cats and the horses too. I wish i understood this issue better because i do feel it has to do with the poverty in the nation more then they admit. i think that animals are expendable and thus not part of the family like they are in the states. my wishes and prayers go out to you and what you do. if you ever want some one to document what you do, let me know, i am a documentary photographer and cant Waite to come back to the RD. :ermm:

I would be more then willing to privide an apt. for you and a couple of staff for you doing this project. I'm sure that WB and AAAS can provide much to make your trip worthwhile. I would hope that it all works for everyone and everyanimal.

PM me or WB with details. Ringo

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Yes, there is poverty all over and they must feed their families, neighbours and themselves first. For the most part they are not cruel to animals, exception in this case that someone has been very cruel to this pup but, why do a family of 5 travel on one motorcycle - because it is there only means of transport....

Why? when we rescued a horse here which we had to pay for she had the worst type of sores on her back, had her mane and tail shaved so she could not rid herself of flies, was covered in parasites inside and out and was in foal... why? because she was used by her owner to carry him (no lightweight) and heavy milk churns so he could sell the milk and provide for his family but he is not a 'cruel' man as such and he did what he had to do.

My rescued mare now looks good, hope you will agree and, hopefully, she is now in foal again to our Pasofino stallion
5pw5k.jpg

Reactions: AnnaC

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Wow, great grooming Shirley, looks like a Fine Animal worthy of showing!

July 4th is coming up soon, so don't forget the best " Pork On Your Fork "

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Wow, great grooming Shirley, looks like a Fine Animal worthy of showing!

July 4th is coming up soon, so don't forget the best " Pork On Your Fork "

Unfortunately, due to a dead hard drive I don't have the original photos of Coco when she was a disgusting and sad creature but sure that Dr. Bob has saved them as he recommended the treatment with daily doses of pure honey that worked on her sores and wounds..

Are you being a little sarcastic Mike, I don't understand?

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Unfortunately, due to a dead hard drive I don't have the original photos of Coco when she was a disgusting and sad creature but sure that Dr. Bob has saved them as he recommended the treatment with daily doses of pure honey that worked on her sores and wounds..

Are you being a little sarcastic Mike, I don't understand?

OOOP's not at all, I just clicked on and saw a nice pic, liked what I saw and was just being sincere on your ability to raise quality livestock!

Never over react to any of my posts!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Didn't read the whole thread but but, I thought we were more concerned with the dying haitian who are crushed under the rubble of concrete as we discuss saving street puppies.
AZB

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Didn't read the whole thread but but, I thought we were more concerned with the dying haitian who are crushed under the rubble of concrete as we discuss saving street puppies.
AZB

I have tried very hard to ignore this comment but I have to say that I feel it was totally unwarranted and unnecessary to say the least. Seems some of us have more compassion in our little finger than others could ever possibly achieve!

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
If that pup's condition becomes stable, I would be interested in adopting it (and pay some of the vet bills). I currently have 4 street dogs and 1 Rottweiler (also a former abuse case). I live in Cofresi and have a fenced in yard.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
@Conchman : ALRIGHT! Hope the pups conditions goes well

@WB : same reply as I have given to jc...don't bother yourself with that comment and the poster. You are doing a fantastic job(s)...multitasking woman as you are ;)

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Seeing and hearing about this breaks my heart. Let's hope he makes it. Animals deserve attention just as much as humans. Good job WB.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
If that pup's condition becomes stable, I would be interested in adopting it (and pay some of the vet bills). I currently have 4 street dogs and 1 Rottweiler (also a former abuse case). I live in Cofresi and have a fenced in yard.

That's a grand offer, Conchman, and I understand he is doing pretty well today - we will keep you updated on his recovery rate.

I managed to find a photo of Coco, my rescue horse, taken shortly after she arrived here with us just over 3 years ago and am sure that everyone will agree that she looked a totally different animal to the one that she is now which I put on Post 7.

333z5m0.jpg