Fresh Fish

PuntaCanalove

Apr 11, 2009
Can anyone recommend where to purchase fresh fish in the Punta Cana area? We have been having difficulty finding fresh fish everytime we come. This surprises me as I see alot of fishermen around. Thank you in advance

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Pescaderia Martinez in Ver?n - turn left about 200m before the T-junction with the boulevard.

PuntaCanalove

Apr 11, 2009
Thanks Chirimoya.
What does he carry? Lobster or Snapper? Would you know what I would pay for each fish? The reason I ask is that I know there is price and then there is a price for Gringos.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
For that reason I would suggest going with a Dominican friend if possible. They have whatever happens to be available, it's a pretty informal set-up. For example, last week there was lobster and they do receive good quality fresh shrimp from S?nchez on a weekly basis.

Reactions: mike l

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
There is a Sat market in Punta Cana Village that sells fresh fish, fresh produce.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
or drive down to Cabeza de Toro.
by 12:30 the sportfishing boats come in and bring this time of the year usually fresh Dorado and Wahoo.
right aside the sportfishing club "Club Nautico" are the huts of the fishermen who fish for bottom fishes, their selling market is right there the same place, all you get there is fresh and you can't get fresher fish for a better price.
Mike

Reactions: mike l and Lucille

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
or drive down to Cabeza de Toro.
by 12:30 the sportfishing boats come in and bring this time of the year usually fresh Dorado and Wahoo.
right aside the sportfishing club "Club Nautico" are the huts of the fishermen who fish for bottom fishes, their selling market is right there the same place, all you get there is fresh and you can't get fresher fish for a better price.
Mike

Mike,

Thanks for the update!

Any chance on shipping wahoo to sosua as I have never seen any available on the north coast only dorado which I buy all the time.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Update - Mart?nez now has a shop on the main Ver?n-Punta Cana road, near the Manzanillo supermarket. Look out for the sign.

The Saturday morning market stall at Punta Cana Village only sells fish occasionally.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
right Chiri,
Martinez is the better bet, he buys regularly down here in Cabeza de Toro, always fresh stuff, he is very reliable on his products.
Mike,
shipping fresh fish doesn't make it fresher, ha ha.
i guess we have no regualr transfer from Cabeza de Toro to Sosua.
i am surprised that you don't get Wahoo up there.
Wahoo isn't very often caught by the bottom fishermen/small boats, they are high speed strikers, they hit on over 0 knots of striking speed, ha ha, for wahoo you should stick around the sportfishing yachts who go after Billfish on high speed trolling, there the Wahoos are a typical bycatch, and often they bite through the nylon and take the who shi$$ with 'em, ha ha.
Dorado is great to eat and the easiest to prepare fish, i prefer it out of the Oven, but also good on BBQ and everything else.
Wahoo is my favorite and usually a 30-50 perc more expensive than Dorado.
come down to the southeast and i prepare you some
cheers
Mike

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
pescaderia martinez???

We have been here 2 weeks now and we have searched for Pescaderia Martinez. No sign of it and definitely did not see any kind of a sign. We of course have stopped and asked - people either are saying he upped and moved or they have never heard of it. We did wind up with a friend going up some road and looked at a few pescaderias and bought some fish from an Alberto -- but we are really hoping someone knows where Martinez disappeared to. Pls advise.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I think they re-named it and they are now a "pescaderia y carniceria" - fishmonger and butcher. It's just before you get to Supermercado Manzanillo as you head from Punta Cana towards Cruce de Ver?n. BTW Mr C recently stopped buying fish there because he didn't like the way they have the meat and fish together.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I think they re-named it and they are now a "pescaderia y carniceria" - fishmonger and butcher. It's just before you get to Supermercado Manzanillo as you head from Punta Cana towards Cruce de Ver?n. BTW Mr C recently stopped buying fish there because he didn't like the way they have the meat and fish together.
will take a look myself theses days after reading your concern.
the Mrs bought there last week 25lbs Carne de Res for a Gulash for a bunch of friends who been over for a Fest, like til now always the meat been perfect, so was the Carne Molida which they run through the cutting machine fresh in front of your eyes at your order.
til now my meat did not smell fishy,
even that I am the fisherman, I would not like such a bit,
and I prefer my meat over any Fish anyways, lol.
will let you know what I think/see.
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
sorry Chiri,
after posting above I asked the Boos, the Mrs,
Ive been mentally at the wrong place.
she did not buy at the Fisshop.
the Butcher Shop is on the other side of Veron, when driving from the Veron Cossing towards La Otra Banda, shortly before you reach the entrance/lil crossing La Christianita is a nice and well stocked Fruitstand, 30 meters before the Fruitstand is that Butchers Shop, same side of the Street, no Fishies there.
I/ve been confused by the name, because we call the driver of their Pick Up who delivers to our homedoor Martinez, yes, a common name, my bad. I will be most likely in Veron tomorrow afternoon, I will check what name-sign they have on.
cheers
Mike

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Hi thanks for the info re meat and fruit - I've read all the interesting emails - but - I still do not hear about where we can buy fresh fish. BTW - we've had great meat from the Punta Cana Delicana (i know they are more expensive) Any suggestions on the fresh fish problem - where to get? Do you think Cabeza de toro is the best bet now?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I live in cabeza de Toro and I am a Fisherman, so I don't have the problem to get fresh Fish in the Fridge, ha ha ha.
I tell the Boys what I want and in the afternoon I have it,
even that I myself prefer a good Steak over any Fish, lol.
the problem in Cabeza de Toro for an outsider is that there's no real Fish shop here, when the boats come in the fish got weighted and sold here, right away, fresh, times for that are not the same on every day, a bit hard to calculate for a visitor who is coming from an other area.
in case of fruits I mentioned that fruit stand for the description of the meat shop location.
the IMHO best fruitstand is a little bit further on the same Road Veron, a few hyndred meters more towards La Ptra Banda on the Mainroad, located on the left hand side a few meters before you reach the 2 Speedbumps up there in Veron, right on the streetfront, close to "Pinturas Veron" and "La Recta Carwash".
always great variety, fresh and great rates.
Mike

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Hi Mike - thanks for your reply. I always get great fruits in a number of places - but it is soooooo frustrating to think I cannot find a decent pescaderia?? Almost unbelievable - but -- so be it! We will just live with it.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
There is a new fresh fish shop in Ver?n, just before the intersection with the Bulevar Turistico, near Los Manantiales school. We haven't tried their wares yet but Mr C had a quick shufti yesterday and said it looked promising. Will report back.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I just realized that I did not report back the Butcher's name up in veron, sorry.
the Shop's name is "OMAR", written in big letters on the Building, across the street of Bavaro muebles, parking space available.
this Time I didn't let the Mrs shop herself, we been anyways on our way home from Higuey to cabeza, so we stepped in and we filled the Fridge up to the Top, ha ha.
great Meets, all 100% clean, and against my Wife's prior statement about 'no fishies', they have a very good and fresh Fish/Mariscos station/selection, very good looking and clean, and separated from the Meets.
when you enter the shop a Man is preparing the Meets on the right hand side, while a Lady been cleaning/Cutting/Preparing Mariscos on the left hand side, completely different table, nice separated from each others.
of course I did not buy any fishies or shrimps for the prior mentioned reasons,
but that place looked to me perfect so I would by them there anytime without a doubt.
they had a wide selection,
Dorado as whole pieces and also as perfectly prepared Fillets,
they had Mero, Chillo and Guatabana/Wahoo,
they had lambi, shrimps, I did not see Lobsters, but i did not ask for any neither, I forgot about that often asked piece of Oceanfood.
in case of Meet they had T-Bones, Curascos, we bought half of a Pork Legg(the Tail still been on, ha ha), Carne Molida will be done in front of your eyes from the meet you prior choosed for it, basically they offer 2 Meet Qualities for carne Molida, we took a Pack of each, one of the cheap one and a pack of the more expensive one, both been for my taste very good in quality, so for a simple Espaguetti Bolognesa I will in the future stick to the 2nd class Carne Molida, costs around half per pound than their 1st quality Carne Molida.

Chiri,
thanks for the Tip with the new Fishshop down in veron,
will def take a look on that one soon,
friends always ask about those spots.

let us know about the selection and quality and rates when you been there.
cheers
Mike