Anyone know any english language schools?

andrew_dez

Jan 25, 2010
Hey everyone.

I'm thinking of coming to the Dominican to teach english but i can't find and english language schools there. I know there must be some.
I have a ton of experience teaching english in Asia and Canada where I'm from.
I would appreciate it if anybody could point me towards an online recourse for english language schools in the Dominican or names of a couple they may know. of.
Cheers

Jan 22, 2010
Success, Impact, Renovation, Puerto Plata institute

all schools located in Puerto Plata

if you earn there 150 US a month, it will be great

;)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
twenty schools in Santiago alone...

Have to be here to get jobs...on line does not cut it..

HB

andrew_dez

Jan 25, 2010
Yeah i've kind of figured out it would best if I just come there too look for schools but i would at least like to have a list of schools that i can go to once im there. I wouldn't even know where to start.
Is there some sort of online resource that lists these schools?

is anyone posting on this thread teaching english in dr?

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Yeah i've kind of figured out it would best if I just come there too look for schools but i would at least like to have a list of schools that i can go to once im there. I wouldn't even know where to start.
Is there some sort of online resource that lists these schools?

is anyone posting on this thread teaching english in dr?

Your written sentence structure, grammar and use of capitalization is offensive.

If I was seeking English Teachers to fill a position, I would be very unimpressed by your efforts so far.

Take a little time and proof read your posts; at least that is what my Teachers taught.

Last edited:

andrew_dez

Jan 25, 2010
doesn't take much to offend you huh? i thought peoples attitudes in the islands were more laid back.
I don't proof read my post on internet message boards and i don't really care if i capitalized the word "english" or not.
lighten up ok?

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Toober - you're correct. The word English does use a capital "E" because it is referencing a language. However, the word teacher does not use a capital "t" because it is not in reference to an ethnic group, language group or citizenship. In Spanish (capital because it's a language) people groups and languages are not capitalized. For example: Yo hablo tres idiomas: ingles, frances y japones. Or: Usted es americano.

Dubby

Mar 30, 2004
Teaching Jobs

Hey,

Don?t let the people on this site get to you. This is a good site for
gathering information and I often use it. Personally I almost never
post on it because the people on the site are very ... well I was taught
if you do not have anything nice to say do not say anything at all. I have
been teaching English here for over 4 years and would be glad to offer
you some information. Please PM me if you would like some more information.

DRinvestor785

Dec 13, 2009
Hey,

Don?t let the people on this site get to you. This is a good site for
gathering information and I often use it. Personally I almost never
post on it because the people on the site are very ... well I was taught
if you do not have anything nice to say do not say anything at all. I have
been teaching English here for over 4 years and would be glad to offer
you some information. Please PM me if you would like some more information.

Applause!!

Mar 1, 2009
A lot of the folks here are island people, the island of england, Long Island, manhattan hahahaha!! They come here because people are laid back indeed and hopefully you will come too. Now that you've posted and been brought low, you can rise up my brother and treat the next poster kindly or just join in a mash him to bits! Later!!

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
doesn't take much to offend you huh? i thought peoples attitudes in the islands were more laid back.
I don't proof read my post on internet message boards and i don't really care if i capitalized the word "english" or not.
lighten up ok?

You won't thank Toober now, of course, because you feel put down. What I believe he was actually trying to do was to give you the opportunity to respond with wit, charm and just a little firmness so that employers who read the DR1 Forums would smile to themselves & say 'this guy has something' and possibly even invite you to contact them.

That reframing of the motives of others is a skill needed by expats in the DR. It helps to look beyond what appears to be the obvious.

Reactions: TOOBER_SDQ

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
lighten up ok?
Lets try explaining it this way:

The people on the island may be laid back, but you as a teacher must be more positive or the students will just never learn.

If you have no pride and are lazy, so will be your students.

They will use the same logic as you, why bother, it's only a message board, I will reserve my proper English for only when it is absolutely necessary.

Heck of an attitude for someone trying to teach you a subject, especially, as an ENGLISH teacher.

Just by your posts and your responses if I needed a teacher, I would not choose you.

It would be my money being paid, and I would want the best,
......... not someone with a don't really care attitude.

I personally know 3 English teachers from 3 different schools.
I was going to recommend places in Santiago, but I do really care who I recommend.

Don

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
Your written sentence structure, grammar and use of capitalization is offensive.

If I was seeking English Teachers to fill a position, I would be very unimpressed by your efforts so far.

Take a little time and proof read your posts; at least that is what my Teachers taught.

As I read the original post, I had the same thought. I wasn't going to say anything, but the quality of the english lessons that my wife and family are paying for has really irked me in the past, so I decided to weigh in on the ensuing debate.

Lets try explaining it this way:

The people on the island may be laid back, but you as a teacher must be more positive or the students will just never learn.

If you have no pride and are lazy, so will be your students.

They will use the same logic as you, why bother, it's only a message board, I will reserve my proper English for only when it is absolutely necessary.

Heck of an attitude for someone trying to teach you a subject, especially, as an ENGLISH teacher.

Just by your posts and your responses if I needed a teacher, I would not choose you.

It would be my money being paid, and I would want the best,
......... not someone with a don't really care attitude.

I personally know 3 English teachers from 3 different schools.
I was going to recommend places in Santiago, but I do really care who I recommend.

Don

I am more perturbed by the above mentioned bad attitude than I am by someone who is just a bad speaker of English looking for a job they wouldn't be qualified for, in a more balanced market. I know that the high demand brings out the lowest common denominator in the classroom, and am not as upset by that. However, the attitude that the students don't expect much and I'm not going to give them much is not very impressive.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I think the point has been made.

If you're using a public forum to seek employment, it's definitely a good idea to present yourself as worthy of the employment you're seeking, in terms of both style and substance.

DRinvestor785

Dec 13, 2009
Lesson

I think also a lesson has been learned; be prepared to be ripped to shreds even when posting a simple question on DR1.

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Toober - you're correct. The word English does use a capital "E" because it is referencing a language. However, the word teacher does not use a capital "t" because it is not in reference to an ethnic group, language group or citizenship. In Spanish (capital because it's a language) people groups and languages are not capitalized. For example: Yo hablo tres idiomas: ingles, frances y japones. Or: Usted es americano.

Thanks LaTeacher. I guess I have a bad habit of capitalizing when I shouldn?t. Since teaching is a profession, I assumed it should be capitalized. In my field of engineering, I very often see the word ?engineer? capitalized. I was wrong and I?ll take my lumps. :cheeky: