Some non-Dominican person got their luggage stolen from under the Caribe Tours bus.

live_for_life

Mar 4, 2007
If I have to go from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata should I just pay a taxi or some Dominican that does long distance trips to take me and my 4 pieces of luggage from Santo Domingo to Puerto Plata? I have never had troulble with my luggage being stolen from under the Caribe tours bus probably due to the fact that I look very Dominican. I do not dress with expensive clothes and watches on my trips. Those people that had their luggage stolen sounds like an inside job.

Mar 1, 2009
A friend of mine a (female) wants to travel to Haiti to provide possible assistance to the unfortunate Haitain victims. She wants to go by way of Caribe tours. I told her to wait for me to travel back to the DR. She still wants to go on her own. With all the foreign personnel in Haiti do you think she will be ok travelling on Caribe...?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
A friend of mine a (female) wants to travel to Haiti to provide possible assistance to the unfortunate Haitain victims. She wants to go by way of Caribe tours. I told her to wait for me to travel back to the DR. She still wants to go on her own. With all the foreign personnel in Haiti do you think she will be ok travelling on Caribe...?

Caribe Tours is fine, 1000's of people use them daily here.

But...

If you want a cleaner and better bus, use Metro if they cover the same route.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Drivers

Caribe Tours drivers are some of the worst I've seen on the highways.....

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Metro

I try to use Metro because it makes less stops, which means the luggage compartment is opened less often. I always sit on the "luggage" side of the bus so I can watch when the doors are open. Other than that I will get off the bus and watch at each stop. Never had a problem.

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
ah well caribe tours is known for that...in POP at least.

when i began inquiring about how to ship items nationally, i was told to go with Metro because Caribe Express (caribe tours courier service) is known for stealing and/or losing packages.

I heard this over a dozen times from all kinds of Dominicans---that they are just not dependable at all.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i might have personal interest in this; so whatever. i always travel on Caribe and have never had a problem. We use caribeexpress to send money between family members and caribepac to send packages.

the ONE time i used metro, my bags were stolen.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I second that it seems the Caribe Tours drivers are some real sob's. Apparently, might is right as they almost squeezed me into the curbed median on la 27 because apparently the idiot felt he should have two lanes. I had to lean on my horn for a good 20 seconds.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
when i drive in the DR the thing i am most scared of is a bus. they are idiots. i am not afraid of the police, big trucks, crazy motos, holes in the road, driving at night, but when i see a bus i go on high alert, especially on 27..............

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Several years ago I, along with my wife, made the mistake of taking a Caribe Tours bus to Santiago from Santo Domingo. We sat in front next to the driver so as to get a good view of the countryside, and a view we got. While going uphill the driver attempted to pass a dump-truck and forced the oncoming traffic off the road. After passing the dump-truck there was a small pick-up truck in front of us with four young men taunting the bus driver, not allowing him to pass. Our driver pulled out a handgun and waved it to the young men who immediately got out of his way. My wife swore to never again ride a bus in the DR.

Feb 7, 2007
It's a well known fact that Caribe Tours drivers are among the worst, selfish, egoist and aggressive drivers in the DR. No wonder that in big majority of bus accidents in the DR, Caribe Tours is involved. Compare their fleet to the total bus fleet in the DR and you will get a picture ...
The second place "marica drivers" are the one from the South routes (Bani, Azua, etc.).