Haitians working

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Considering there may be more Haitians in the DR due to the earthquake what is the employment status of Haitians in the DR?
Are they covered under Dominican Labor Laws? Do they have any rights or status of any kind? I assume you cannot register them with TSS. What if they get hurt or sick while working for someone?

Reactions: Black Dog

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Check the search function for Dominican labor laws

You can't expect to switch countries in a week and find a job where you cannot work without a cedula

R U serious???

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Check the search function for Dominican labor laws

You can't expect to switch countries in a week and find a job where you cannot work without a cedula

R U serious???

Hundreds of thousands of Mexicans do exactly that every year. Yes I am serious.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Then check the labor laws and use the search function....if you are so serious.

If you use a gonkulator this will really awnser all of your questions.

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Useless

Why do you bother to reply when you have nothing constructive to add? Whats the point? To much time on your hands? No one else will listen to you? I simply asked a question to which you obviously do not know the answer..... and if you don't know the answer why respond? Just another smart ass, meaningless response from a know-it-all on this board. People come to this site for good information. To bad there are so many useless responses by uselss people. I guess that is the price we must pay for that little bit of information.

CanWest66

May 11, 2008
Canada
I heard a report Yesterday on CBC news that there are 1 million Haitians in the DR. I have no idea how many of those are registered and have cedulas but I suspect that a large number are in country working off the books so to speak. The report also mentioned that there is a line up on the Haitian side of the border of people wanting into the DR. I wonder how many have already crossed over illegally since the quake? I would like to hear from someone who does know some facts on this matter.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I think OP has a good question here so maybe someone with good knowledge of the labour laws can answer the question.
I refer to Guzman's overview fairly regularly and it states that
"any work carried out by a foriegner on Dominican soil is subject to the provisions of the labor code since Dominican labor laws are territorial in nature"
So does this mean that by employing a newly arrived Hatian, possibly as an act of human kindness and with just a verbal contract, you bestow upon him all of the rights and protection within the labor code?

Rbh44

Mar 28, 2007
Labor Laws

That is exactly what I want to know Black Dog. I have searched to no avail but would like to know the answer.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
That is exactly what I want to know Black Dog. I have searched to no avail but would like to know the answer.

We've had a stickie in this legal forum for a long time showing Dominican labour laws and if you read all the posts in that thread it might answer your question.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/42156-overview-dominican-labor-law-2.html

Any work carried out by a foreigner on Dominican soil is subject to the provisions of the Labor Code since Dominican labor laws are territorial in nature (Principle V of the Labor Code

Haitian or not there are a lot of foreigners working illegally and without a cedula in the DR.

Good luck

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2008
There you go. A legitimate question and a legitimate answer.

Sometimes people do have too much time on their hands, and I see some value to that as long as they realize it is completely possible to use that time constructively and not insult others.

Mike l, I am somewhat surprised at you. Your humor is usually much better placed.