Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haitians working

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Haitians working

Considering there may be more Haitians in the DR due to the earthquake what is the employment status of Haitians in the DR?
    Are they covered under Dominican Labor Laws? Do they have any rights or status of any kind? I assume you cannot register them with TSS. What if they get hurt or sick while working for someone?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Check the search function for Dominican labor laws

You can't expect to switch countries in a week and find a job where you cannot work without a cedula

R U serious???

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mike l View Post
    Check the search function for Dominican labor laws

You can't expect to switch countries in a week and find a job where you cannot work without a cedula

R U serious???
    Hundreds of thousands of Mexicans do exactly that every year. Yes I am serious.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Then check the labor laws and use the search function....if you are so serious.

If you use a gonkulator this will really awnser all of your questions.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Useless

Why do you bother to reply when you have nothing constructive to add? Whats the point? To much time on your hands? No one else will listen to you? I simply asked a question to which you obviously do not know the answer..... and if you don't know the answer why respond? Just another smart ass, meaningless response from a know-it-all on this board. People come to this site for good information. To bad there are so many useless responses by uselss people. I guess that is the price we must pay for that little bit of information.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard a report Yesterday on CBC news that there are 1 million Haitians in the DR. I have no idea how many of those are registered and have cedulas but I suspect that a large number are in country working off the books so to speak. The report also mentioned that there is a line up on the Haitian side of the border of people wanting into the DR. I wonder how many have already crossed over illegally since the quake? I would like to hear from someone who does know some facts on this matter.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I think OP has a good question here so maybe someone with good knowledge of the labour laws can answer the question.
    I refer to Guzman's overview fairly regularly and it states that
    "any work carried out by a foriegner on Dominican soil is subject to the provisions of the labor code since Dominican labor laws are territorial in nature"
    So does this mean that by employing a newly arrived Hatian, possibly as an act of human kindness and with just a verbal contract, you bestow upon him all of the rights and protection within the labor code?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Labor Laws

That is exactly what I want to know Black Dog. I have searched to no avail but would like to know the answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rbh44 View Post
    That is exactly what I want to know Black Dog. I have searched to no avail but would like to know the answer.
    We've had a stickie in this legal forum for a long time showing Dominican labour laws and if you read all the posts in that thread it might answer your question.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/4215...bor-law-2.html

Any work carried out by a foreigner on Dominican soil is subject to the provisions of the Labor Code since Dominican labor laws are territorial in nature (Principle V of the Labor Code

Haitian or not there are a lot of foreigners working illegally and without a cedula in the DR.

Good luck
    Last edited by AnnaC; 01-26-2010 at 03:08 PM.

DR1 Expert
    Post Thanks / Like

The Dominican Supreme Court has stated that illegal aliens who work in the Dominican Republic come under the protection of the Dominican Labor Code.
    Fabio J. Guzman
    Guzman Ariza
    Attorneys-at-Law
    Sosúa, Santo Domingo, San Francisco de Macorís, Cabrera
    Las Terrenas, Samaná, Bávaro (Punta Cana) and La Romana
    Dominican Republic

[email protected]

Website

The opinion above should not be construed to be formal legal advice and was given without reviewing the facts and documents pertinent to the case. The reader should NOT act based upon this opinion without seeking professional counsel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast