Green Lifestyle in Santiago

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Buenas Tardes to all
I have been working my butt off to get my employees to buy into my thoery of low impact on santiaog eco system.. I have givne thme the oportunity to work form home and to participate on a project that i have begna myself with my family.
Familia Ortiz Lagos
Has cut down it city driving by 1/2 in the last few month by working as much as 5 hrs form home and some days not even leavening the house to drive to work.. We are looking into adding a driving a bicycle to work a nice 15 kilometers..to see if this hel out.. We are also buy less package food since we are shopping more in the mercados rather than the supermarkets...
I have begun a small acuaponic project in my back yard with some tilapias and tomatoes,basil and soon other vines...
It my theory that if I can get 20 young couple here to telecommute and go a little greener with in a year we can have na impact in 200 Santiago families as those 20 couples will be able to impact 10 others within that year.
for this we need your input . and help...
This people in Santiago will need ot have access to good telecommuting jobs..(no telemarketing) at least 800sf of backyard or roof space, and willing to commit to this life changing experience for 6 month..
I am not looking ofr extremist but form young couple that need a life change...
Those that drive the bigg Jepetas , live in a 5 bedroom home but only have 1 child...I know it might be just a dream but if more of us do something for our Local Santiago we can make a change....

Please help me build this project i ll try to get SOECI to sponsors the project but need help structuring..all comments are welcome..
I want those young families ot be the beacon of hope in ther area.. thhe ones to start a recycling project, community planting field is a apartment complex .. ect..
Albin Ortiz
Urb Don Pedro
Familia 1
need 19 more..just need to be young at heart...since this will require physical work...

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's a difficult one to pull off, especially in a large city so you have my respect, Albin.

We found that living in Santo Domingo it was impossible to reduce car use because public transport was so difficult and didn't serve the area we lived in anyway, and cycling on the city streets would have been suicidal.

Part of the reason we moved to Punta Cana was the chance to live a bit greener. We've become a one-car family since moving here, and the school run is on bicycle or on foot 90% of the time. Punta Cana Village has a recycling scheme so we segregate our rubbish into organics, recyclables and non-recyclables.

Even in Santo Domingo, we always managed to use much less energy than almost anyone we know at household level, and our consumption here has remained low: energy saving lightbulbs, no a/c, no clothes dryer and generally keeping to a habit of switching off anything that isn't in use.

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
Chiri..Santiago seems to be a bit easier..we are large city but not like Santo Domingo..
Since I know the bicycle use my not be as viable..Karina and I are working on convincing our agents to telecommute 3 days per week so we can lal reduce the office impact not just our personals.. that will be 40 people not taking a concho 3 days per week.. hope this might help...
I am now working on thee backyard gardening with the aquaponics conversion of my koi pond to a Tilapia pond with edibles greens..

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Granted that conchos are horrible contributers of pollution, taking people out of conchos is not the issue. The bigger issue would be getting people out of their SUVs and into a concho, or, onto a bike.

I don't want to shoot down your plan, but if people here (ex-pat and dominican alike) can't get their own houses cleaned, their own laundry washed and their own dinners made after their day at work, it might be difficult to sell them on the idea of roof-top gardens that they would have to maintain or trips to Los Hospedajes (or other similar markets) which shuts down about the same time as most people get out of work.

I say start small. Encourage people to change their lightbulbs, and to turn them off when they leave the room. Reduce water usage (and waste) by "taking space" in the toilet tank with a LITER size bottle (one liter less every time you flush!). Encourage people to have little herb gardens (which are way easier to maintain than a full scale garden). When boiling viveres, put a lid on the pot. There are tons of little ways to help the environment. Maybe you'll find a better response that way... When people realize how easy it is to make the little changes, they might try to the bigger transformations.