Tomatillo

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Tomatillos are not a traditional fruit here. At one point there was an 'exotic' range being sold at Supermercados Nacional that included tomatillos/tree tomatoes as well as other non-traditional fruit like persimmons - have a look there.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I think it may be similar to the cape gooseberry, I have seen them growing wild, but havent seen them for sale- I havent eaten one in case I got it wrong

May 29, 2006
I never saw them in a Supermercado, but I think salsa verde may be available.

For those of you unfamiliar with tomatillos they are similar to tomatoes but green with a papery covering over them. They are most often used in salsas:

tomatillos7.jpg

Lane53

Mar 3, 2009
I never saw them in a Supermercado, but I think salsa verde may be available.

For those of you unfamiliar with tomatillos they are similar to tomatoes but green with a papery covering over them. They are most often used in salsas:

tomatillos7.jpg

La Costena is the brand here that is ok RD$110 for 475ml. It has some stuff (chemicals) in it that is not so good but overall a good "warm" flavor. Excellent flavor combination with ground pork empanadas.

So basically, tomatillos do not seem to be available here.

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
YES they are (Chiri's picture is right)! I buy them all the time in Supermercado El Pola; a pack of 8 is around $50 pesos. I always get asked what they are in the office, none of my coworkers knew what they were. They are delicious!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I think he was looking for the green ones. Now I'm no longer sure whether tamarillos/tomates de arbol are sometimes called tomatillos (in Ecuador, where I first came across them) or whether I was confused.

What does it say on the label, juanita?