Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is pop the closest airport to haiti??

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is pop the closest airport to haiti??

If it is..how's it handling the extra traffic?

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

I believe the closest airport to Port Au Prince is Barahona.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by paddy View Post
    If it is..how's it handling the extra traffic?

As of last Friday 22.01.2010 PoP airport is reportedly heavily congested with traffic bringing aid to Haiti taking up to 5 days to unload. There are limited fuel supplies available only to planes that have existing contracts with aviation fuel suppliers (Chevron, Shell and others).
    Bryan

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    I believe the closest airport to Port Au Prince is Barahona.
    Correct it's about 110km to the border at Jimani, but there are no fuel supplies there and no cargo handling equipment.
    Bryan

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bryanell View Post
    As of last Friday 22.01.2010 PoP airport is reportedly heavily congested with traffic bringing aid to Haiti
    I heard the same yesterday. Today I was speaking to the British Hon Consul who told me that a load of equipment & supplies for Haiti had arrived from UK and he had been involved in expediting its release. When he left after successfully achieving this there were 4 other planes full of stuff, still there (planes which weren't from UK).

Post Thanks / Like

There are "landing strips" in Dajabon and Pedernales....equipment?> fuel? Doubtful, although Pedernales is getting some action.
    Santiago has seen a lot of action, too and is supplying part of the demand for parking and handling and fuel..

HB

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I apolagize, but i assume wečre talking about pap and not pop. Port au prince vs puerto plata.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Pop.

I don't know which Dominican airport is closest to PAP (Port au Prince). As pointed out, some may be closer but may not be able to accommodate some types/sizes of aircraft for various reasons.

Being that I live on the Ocean in Playa Chiquita, north east of Sosua and the POP airport, we are able to see most of the incoming/outgoing planes. Though I don't run out and look at every one, the increase in air traffic was very noticeable. My neighbors and I had noticed a fairly good increase in planes a few days after the earthquake in Haiti.

Five C-130s (?) taking off are very noticeable being that they are low and throttled up (heavy) as they go over us heading east then turning south/inland and then heading west toward Haiti still slowly gaining altitude. A couple of medium sized jets painted gray have been seen as well as other non-commercial jets. Many smaller private/corp/charter planes have seen. Even a couple of Coast Guard ? helicopters racing by going west.

I don't know if they are coming into POP to refuel, waiting for a landing slot at PAP, unloading or going somewhere else.

We have been to POP several times in the last two weeks to pickup/drop off guests. The commercial flights that our guests have been on have been normal for POP. We did notice a couple of medium sized jets on the tarmac that where not commercial.

We have also noticed that this increase in activity has slowed down in the last few days.

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Santiago airport has seen a lot of action. An Antonov-124 airplane has been spotted multiple times brining in aid to the airport. If you know airplanes that is ONE HUGE plane. Look it up.

On Vacation!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by El Tigre View Post
    Santiago airport has seen a lot of action. An Antonov-124 airplane has been spotted multiple times brining in aid to the airport. If you know airplanes that is ONE HUGE plane. Look it up.
    I don't think that Big Boy could land at POP.

Just saw (9:50 AM) a C-130 ? taking off from POP and appeared lite. Good altitude, engines not full. Turned North toward the U.S.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast