Is pop the closest airport to haiti??

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
If it is..how's it handling the extra traffic?

As of last Friday 22.01.2010 PoP airport is reportedly heavily congested with traffic bringing aid to Haiti taking up to 5 days to unload. There are limited fuel supplies available only to planes that have existing contracts with aviation fuel suppliers (Chevron, Shell and others).
Bryan

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
As of last Friday 22.01.2010 PoP airport is reportedly heavily congested with traffic bringing aid to Haiti

I heard the same yesterday. Today I was speaking to the British Hon Consul who told me that a load of equipment & supplies for Haiti had arrived from UK and he had been involved in expediting its release. When he left after successfully achieving this there were 4 other planes full of stuff, still there (planes which weren't from UK).

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
There are "landing strips" in Dajabon and Pedernales....equipment?> fuel? Doubtful, although Pedernales is getting some action.
Santiago has seen a lot of action, too and is supplying part of the demand for parking and handling and fuel..

HB

dougiej

Jan 29, 2007
I apolagize, but i assume we?re talking about pap and not pop. Port au prince vs puerto plata.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Pop.

I don't know which Dominican airport is closest to PAP (Port au Prince). As pointed out, some may be closer but may not be able to accommodate some types/sizes of aircraft for various reasons.

Being that I live on the Ocean in Playa Chiquita, north east of Sosua and the POP airport, we are able to see most of the incoming/outgoing planes. Though I don't run out and look at every one, the increase in air traffic was very noticeable. My neighbors and I had noticed a fairly good increase in planes a few days after the earthquake in Haiti.

Five C-130s (?) taking off are very noticeable being that they are low and throttled up (heavy) as they go over us heading east then turning south/inland and then heading west toward Haiti still slowly gaining altitude. A couple of medium sized jets painted gray have been seen as well as other non-commercial jets. Many smaller private/corp/charter planes have seen. Even a couple of Coast Guard ? helicopters racing by going west.

I don't know if they are coming into POP to refuel, waiting for a landing slot at PAP, unloading or going somewhere else.

We have been to POP several times in the last two weeks to pickup/drop off guests. The commercial flights that our guests have been on have been normal for POP. We did notice a couple of medium sized jets on the tarmac that where not commercial.

We have also noticed that this increase in activity has slowed down in the last few days.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Santiago airport has seen a lot of action. An Antonov-124 airplane has been spotted multiple times brining in aid to the airport. If you know airplanes that is ONE HUGE plane. Look it up.

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Santiago airport has seen a lot of action. An Antonov-124 airplane has been spotted multiple times brining in aid to the airport. If you know airplanes that is ONE HUGE plane. Look it up.

I don't think that Big Boy could land at POP.

Just saw (9:50 AM) a C-130 ? taking off from POP and appeared lite. Good altitude, engines not full. Turned North toward the U.S.

Dolores1

DR1
May 3, 2000
www.
Barahona's Maria Montez International Airport (BRX). This is an underutilized airport with an enormous landing field and large enough to perfectly suit the role as alternate airport for Haiti. It was built for the mass tourism development that never happened for Barahona. The fact the airport is being refitted is definitely good news for Barahona.

The airport has a 9843 x 148 feet / 3000 x 45 meters runway.
The airport is located at: Lat/Long: 18.251464 deg N / 71.120400 deg W

Last edited:

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
If it can land in STI (santiago) which has a runway lenght of 8595 ft it can land in POP (puerto plata) which has a runway lenght of 10105 ft.

Remember...it can land heavy but can't take off heavy.

I know a few people that work at STI and have told me they saw it come and go a few times last week.

Last edited:

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Is this an Antonov 124? It's been parked at POP for a couple of weeks...I saw it there the day after seeing it on the runway at PAP on CNN.

9lct20.jpg

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Is this an Antonov 124? It's been parked at POP for a couple of weeks...I saw it there the day after seeing it on the runway at PAP on CNN.

9lct20.jpg

This looks like a C-17 Globemaster III. But I'm not an expert.

For some photos and info; Google: c-17