Who can teach me to drive a bike? Cabarete-Sosua area

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
Hello guys!

Im going to buy a bike (scooter or some honda 125cc). I have never been driving one before, so total newbie. Need someone to teach me how to do it and be safe. I learn fast and i want to learn very much! Please help :)

I have ordered a helmet, protection for knees/shin and a jacket with protection as well :cool:

For those who care - im young lady (not fat or ugly).

Lessons needed in Cabarete-Sosua area.

Thx

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Hello guys!

Im going to buy a bike (scooter or some honda 125cc). I have never been driving one before, so total newbie. Need someone to teach me how to do it and be safe. I learn fast and i want to learn very much! Please help :)

I have ordered a helmet, protection for knees/shin and a jacket with protection as well :cool:

Thx
If you can come to Jarabacoa for a couple of days, I can do it following the Motorcycle Safety Foundation program, the real deal.

YouTube - Jarabacoa, DR, Learning how to Ride

I can also help you purcahse a new bike.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dear Miss Rabbit: Allow me to tell you that you have received an invitation from a real professional in the field.
1) You will learn how to ride the right way, the first time
2) You will be in outstanding, good, professional hands
3) You will enjoy your stay in Jarabacoa
4) You will probably make a flock of new friends.

You are one lucky lady!!

HB

oneironaut

Dec 28, 2009
www.atomiczombie.com
Always drive like you are wearing a target on your back, and make good use of your rear view mirrors. If you see a Caribe Tours bus, treat it the same way you would a great white shark if swimming!

Good luck.
Brad

Nov 25, 2008
I recommend getting a Nissan MARCH car [convertible], you do realize how Dominicans drive in this country, you're not in Kansas 'Rabbit'
Having the wind in your hair may sound romantic and fun, but the ICU in your area is not that of the states.
So a word to the young "pretty" rabbit.... be careful...Dorothy...you may not return from OZ

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Hello guys!

Thx

Scooters are better for carrying groceries than a 125 motorcycle

The 125cc chinese ones cost RD 40k but the better ones are the Yahma 100cc which cost $RD 93,000

The scooters also have a compartment where you are supposed to store your helmet but I use it as a cooler with some ice for my favorite beverages when I do some exploring.

Defensive driving is a must

Enjoy

Last edited:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The 125cc chinese ones cost RD 40k but the better ones are the Yahma 100cc which cost $RD 93,000
The generic Chinese 125cc bike is well under RD$35,000.

The Yamaha 125cc...a NICE bike, BTW...runs around RD$53,000.

There are many 110cc bikes for under RD$29,000. I know a slick one for RD$23,000...new.

Some of the nice, larger scooters run RD$60,000-80,000. I saw a slick Kymco 150 today for RD$80,000.

The 125cc bikes are good for faster riding on roads. Certainly a scooter...and if I had to get one it'd have the largest diameter tires I could find, for sure...is best for one-up, low speed in town grocery-getting.

There is the right tool for every job.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Since the subject of motorcycle riding always brings out un- and semi-informed opinions, maybe this is a good place for this:

Two Wheels in Paradise

This is the definitive guide for safe motorcycle riding of the roads in the DR, gleaned from tens of thousands of collective miles riding all over the country.

It's a large .pdf, so sign up with an email address and we'll email it to you.

Enjoy, and ride safe!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Scooters are better for carrying groceries than a 125 motorcycle

The scooters also have a compartment where you are supposed to store your helmet but I use it as a cooler with some ice for my favorite beverages when I do some exploring.

Defensive driving is a must

Enjoy

Holy Smokes!!!! I knew that things were inflated on the coast but jiminy crikets!!!

You can get a brand spanking new Yamaha 4 stroke 125 with aluminum wheels and the plastic still on it for RD52k at Pancho Motores in Moca. Tell 'em "chi" sent you.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Also, as someone who has almost 4 years here and 15 thousand miles I can vouch for cobraboy's credentials. It may even be easier to learn in Jarabacoa as it is much quieter and less crazy then the coastal areas.

Please just alway wear your helmet. You will also need a helemt lock and a disc lock for the bike. If not they will be stolen. Don't forget the sunscreen either. Enjoy!

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
The generic Chinese 125cc bike is well under RD$35,000.

The Yamaha 125cc...a NICE bike, BTW...runs around RD$53,000.

There are many 110cc bikes for under RD$29,000. I know a slick one for RD$23,000...new.

Some of the nice, larger scooters run RD$60,000-80,000. I saw a slick Kymco 150 today for RD$80,000.

The 125cc bikes are good for faster riding on roads. Certainly a scooter...and if I had to get one it'd have the largest diameter tires I could find, for sure...is best for one-up, low speed in town grocery-getting.

There is the right tool for every job.

Cobraboy,

There is no Yahma 125cc scooter that I have seen. Are you sure you are not talking about the motorcycle.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
FTR-moto dealers don't make squat on selling bikes. Not diddly.

They make their $$$ on financing bikes @ 25-35%.

If you go into a dealer and ask what the cash price is thinking he'll give you a smokin' deal...wrong. He'd rather keep it on the lot and finance it for some young guy.

ATV's are different. They have a decent profit margin in them, because they get sold to rich guys.

Reactions: mike l

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
gal, if your front lives up to your login you can ask any motoconcho driver on the street and they'd be happy to give you a lesson :)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Cobraboy,

There is no Yahma 125cc scooter that I have seen. Are you sure you are not talking about the motorcycle.
Both the Zuma and Vino are Yamaha scooters of 125cc.

I mentioned both motorcycles as well as scooters. I'm very familiar with both.

Scooters and motorcycles are different tools.

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
gal, if your front lives up to your login you can ask any motoconcho driver on the street and they'd be happy to give you a lesson :)

Oh of course they would! But im pretty tired of their attention already, so i just wanna plain lessons without having any drool all over me :cheeky:

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Both the Zuma and Vino are Yamaha scooters of 125cc.

I mentioned both motorcycles as well as scooters. I'm very familiar with both.

Scooters and motorcycles are different tools.

Thanks, I will know whom to check with this summer when I want a new one.

I live in Sosua, ( no kidding ), and these were the prices quoted in las Charamicos.

They only had 3, 2008 or 2009 Yamahas that were new but 100cc and I asked when the new bikes were available and.... you guessed it!

They also have about 100 used Honda scooters imported in this store but why, where do those go.....all have 7 to 14 klicks on them

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i saw an ad once - some missionaries were selling a 125cc used for 1,500 DOLLARS. because they had spent about 2Gs on it.

It always makes me laugh how bad foreigners let themselves get abused here.