Correct grammar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I understand the following phrase is correct because "solo" is an adverb, so it doesn't have to agree witht he gender of the subject:

Aunque sea chiquita, a ella le gusta subir la escalera solo.

But how about the use of "poco" in the following sentence? I think it should agree with the gender of the subject but it doesn't seem to be spoken this way here:

La economia esta un poco floja.

Experts?

Also, I've given in to the usage of "cerca a" because apparently this is a somewhat widely accepted use in the caribbean. However, I am still hesitant about sticking with colloquialisms when I learn the correct way.

dr.traveler

Jan 1, 2009
poco is used as an adjective to support a predicate nominative, in this case "floja". For english, it a predicate nominative is used when you are saying something "is" something else. In general I dont think adjectives have to agree when they support a predicate nominative.

Think about these:

se compr? un gran caballo
el caballo es muy grande
se compr? una casa grande
la casa es grande

**Side note, it doesnt matter if the subject is she or he, the sentences do not change.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Traveler is correct 'Un Poco" has no direct relation to "La Economia" and it is just a supporting word. You could easily say La economia esta floja.

dr.traveler

Jan 1, 2009
I actually think the problem with "poco floja" is that it should be "poco flojo"

which means "a little weak".

floja means "loose" Poco floja would mean "a little slack" like the rope is too tight, give me a little slack.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
I understand the following phrase is correct because "solo" is an adverb, so it doesn't have to agree witht he gender of the subject:

Aunque sea chiquita, a ella le gusta subir la escalera solo.

But how about the use of "poco" in the following sentence? I think it should agree with the gender of the subject but it doesn't seem to be spoken this way here:

La economia esta un poco floja.

QUOTE]

solo/sola= adjective (by herself/himself, alone)
s?lo/solamente = adv. (only)

1. Aunque sea chiquita, a ella le gusta subir las escaleras sola. (by herself, no help)
2. Le gusta subir las escaleras solamente. (only) or
3. A ella solo le gusta subir las escaleras. (only - Does not like to take the elevator.)

Please note: The adverb should be accentuated only when the meaning is not clear:
?l va solo a Buenos Aires. (He is going alone to Buenos Aires.)
?l va s?lo a Buenos Aires. (He is only going to Buenos Aires.)

No accent on sentence #3 because the meaning is clear. (But it is ok to place the accent mark if you want to.)

Your second sentence is correct.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
solo/sola= adjective (by herself/himself, alone)
s?lo/solamente = adv. (only)

1. Aunque sea chiquita, a ella le gusta subir las escaleras sola. (by herself, no help)
2. Le gusta subir las escaleras solamente. (only) or
3. A ella solo le gusta subir las escaleras. (only - Does not like to take the elevator.)

Please note: The adverb should be accentuated only when the meaning is not clear:
?l va solo a Buenos Aires. (He is going alone to Buenos Aires.)
?l va s?lo a Buenos Aires. (He is only going to Buenos Aires.)

No accent on sentence #3 because the meaning is clear. (But it is ok to place the accent mark if you want to.)

Your second sentence is correct.

As always prima, I appreciate your help.

It looks like I had it backwards, ie I thought the first sentence was right and the second I wasn't sure.

Now I'm a little confused as to why dr.traveler was telling me it was different - maybe he wasn't sure and was guessing.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
A la Prima le gusta escuchar la radio.
A la prima le gusta escuchar el radio.

Those phrases have a different meaning. Can you believe it?

JJ

dr.traveler

Jan 1, 2009
Sorry,

When I was talking about flojo/floja I wasnt really referring to it agreeing with solo, I was thinking that flojo and floja had slightly different meanings in themselves, and tried to correct it later.

I hope that was the confusing part you were referring to.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
A la Prima le gusta escuchar la radio.
A la prima le gusta escuchar el radio.

Those phrases have a different meaning. Can you believe it?

JJ

One means the radio and the other means the radio station(emisora) correct? If so, which one is which and if not explain it to me porfi.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
You got it, but the first one applies for all the radios station in general.
Ex:
Escuche la radio para estar bien informado....

Listen the radio stations broadcasting to be well informed....

JJ

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I beleive there are a few words that change sex and meaning but I cant think of an example at the moment

Status
Not open for further replies.