Boca Chica vs Juan Dolio?

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
I have a trip planned for mid-february and I would like to stay at an inexpensive (under 50$ per night) yet clean and safe hotel.

(We are two adults and a 4 year old + we will be parking a car)

On top of not being particularly safe of late, a friend in the DR told us that the water/beach in Boca Chica is not nice; he took his family in december and january and they didn't find it clean enough for a swim... Anyone been there lately?

We are wondering if Juan Dolio might be a better option this time around? We can't stay much farther out from the city because we visit family there :ermm:
Thanks,
Tig

bluebayou

Jan 26, 2010
Apples and oranges

You are talking 2 different worlds....not far apart. Boca Chica isn't safe anytime, not just at night. I surely would not bring a 4 year old.......and the car wouldn't last a day. Boca is the Hooker capital of the DR, sketchy at best.
Now Juan Dilio is mostly families and is a resort area, much safer, and for sure more kid friendly.......but I highly doubt you will find $50 accomodations.
Good luck

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Boca or Juan

I spent last weekend at Juan Dolio, and of course many visits to Boca Chica.

Yes accomodations are a little pricier, but as mentioned more family oriented-not much action.

Beach and Water:.

Boca-Because of the manmade reef, the water is shallow as far as you can swim, therefore more turquiose.
No waves so safe swimming for children
But as mentioned not always the cleanest.
Annoying peddlers- In abundance here!

Juan Dolio- A smaller reef therefore definitely has some waves, and a bit of an undertow at times, so will have to keep a closer eye on swimming children.

Water-not as turquiose color, but still very beautiful and much cleaner.

Annoying peddlers-very few, nothing to worry about.

Conclusion: Juan Dolio!!!!!!

tiguerita

Jan 5, 2004
Looks good, thanks Frank

check out: Guesthouse Holland, Juan Dolio Dominican Republic | Enjoy a Carefree Caribbean Holiday for as low as $150/week rental!
They're in Juan Dolio and he has accommodations 50 mtrs from the beach that will fit your budget.

This onle looks good Frank I will ask my husband to check it out... A friend of mine also recommended a place called Caribe Juan Dolio (not Coral), I vaguely remember them having a banner with a phone number and Internet address over a a little strip mall near the middle beach? She stayed there once but could not remember website :( ...

johnnj2000

Mar 27, 2004
you know most of what they say is true about boca chica , during the day it is ok , the beach during the week is nice until sunday , that when all the people from Santo domingo come for the day and it can be hectic, there is a place I know of there that is out of the way from the main street in boca chica, it is called the mango hotel and is run by an italian guy named mario , they have a very nice pool and food service is good and very reasonable rates , from say a small room with cable and fan for 30 us a night or you can get a bigger room for about 50 us aa night where you can cook . the reason i say is that being you have a car you can always just get out when you want , go vistjuan dollio then come back , its only about a 20min drive, or do vise versa have fun in the dr

johnnj2000

Mar 27, 2004
you know you should ask about the hotel real in juan dollio , nice pool good food service close to the beach and not tooo pricey for room

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Sorry I posted twice

I have a trip planned for mid-february and I would like to stay at an inexpensive (under 50$ per night) yet clean and safe hotel.

On top of not being particularly safe of late, a friend in the DR told us that the water/beach in Boca Chica is not nice; he took his family in december and january and they didn't find it clean enough for a swim... Anyone been there lately?

We are wondering if Juan Dolio might be a better option this time around? We can't stay much farther out from the city because we visit family there :ermm:
Thanks,
Tig

kacy

Feb 3, 2008
We stay at Plaza Real frequently in Juan dolio and love it there - the only issue is that once in a while at one of the cafe's they have a techno-dance and it can sound like its in your appartment its so loud - but their permit never goes past 12... so we just go out for a bit when it happens.
we've also stayed at boca chica a few times - and though the water is cleaner at Juan dolio - there are no waves at boca chica making it easier for children.

lajoa711

Jan 17, 2007
To tiguerita -
On Reviews of vacations, hotels, resorts, vacation and travel packages - TripAdvisor -
Many people seem to be happy with Fior di Loto Hotel in Juan Dolio (didn't read anything about parking there) and Neptuno's Refugio in Boca Chica claims to have safe/secure parking.

To everyone else - help!
I want to go to Boca Chica too vs Juan Dolio due to it being closer from our hotel & dad's house in Santo Domingo. We just want to go on a day trip.
Is there such a thing there as lockers?
I know this may be asking too much. Maybe a stupid question?
But I'm wondering if there is a nice restaurant that will rent out lounge chairs & with some type or way of securing items while one goes & swim.
I may not need that if my dad & grandma come with us and we take turns swimming but I rather have a back-up plan just in case my husband & I go alone.
Oh and our day trip to the beach will be a weekday for sure!

Or should we just get a day-pass at Hamaca? That way if the ocean water is crappy we have their pool as an alternative?

How much farther is Juan Dolio anyways? Are we talking a 15-20 minutes diff or more?

I know cuantas preguntas eh?
I welcome your advice.
--Joana

Thanks,
Tig

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
Il Gabiano has lockers inside near the calle side entrance to the restaurant, where the restaurant workers can keep an eye on the things that are stored there. They aren't the sturdiest lockers, but my friends and I have used them over the years and have never had a problem. The beach guy [I can't remember his name] keeps a close eye on things that are left on the beach chairs in front of the restaurant and is very attentive. It is expected, of course, that you eat and buy drinks at the restaurant and leave appropriate propina. It's worth the cost, not having to worry about your belongings, and the food is good and Presidente good and cold.

dukes1963

Jan 3, 2007
Puerco Rosado also has some small lockers located near their restrooms, I have never used them, just ask the German lady at the cash register-I am sure she will take care of you.

afroski

May 12, 2007
www.georgiaflash.com
I'm flying into SDQ tomorrow night and need a clean and safe place to stay overnight. It sounds like Juan Dolio is better than Boca Chica. Would it be possible for me to just drive into town and find a hotel when I arrive or should I make a reservation beforehand?

Thanks,
Tig

Well this should be easy, If you like hanging around drugged out hookers and tigueres on a beach that really doesnt exist anymore(Eroded) then Boca Chica is for you. If you want a nice clean beach with normal non drugged out people then Juan Dolio is a better choice.