My grill is dying....

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
IMG_0167.JPG

After 7 years, 7 million calories, and hundreds of delicious fuzzy animals (some feathered ones as well) my gas grill is finally dying.

It seems the weather is getting the best of it and the burners have rusted out to a point where all the gas comes up in one spot in a huge fountain of flame.

I have priced replacement parts, as they are available online however when I take into account all of the parts that are in need of replacing and factor in shipping I am approaching the price I originally paid for the thing, ~300 US.

So I am down to two choices,

Gut the gas parts and convert it into a charcoal grill, or

I have seen some very inventive dominicans make a grill using a rim from a vehicle, a few sticks of rebar and a gas burner attached, I wonder if I could find some place where they sell these burners and get ahold of one or a couple of them and see if I can get someone to fit it in my grill?

Does anyone know where in Santiago I might find these burners for sale?

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Mr Mike

Grill burners for the smaller BBQ are available in Jumbo ,Santiago in stainless steel. not sure if they will fit your grill but it is worth a try. I have a two tap Fiesta BBQ and the new burner cost RD$1300 or so.

Its working fine now

They have other bits too - go in the entrance - turn round to right , into the corner where BBQs are - they were on the shelves there.

Good luck

HTH
Olly

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
IMG_0167.JPG

After 7 years, 7 million calories, and hundreds of delicious fuzzy animals (some feathered ones as well) my gas grill is finally dying.

It seems the weather is getting the best of it and the burners have rusted out to a point where all the gas comes up in one spot in a huge fountain of flame.

I have priced replacement parts, as they are available online however when I take into account all of the parts that are in need of replacing and factor in shipping I am approaching the price I originally paid for the thing, ~300 US.

I have seen some very inventive dominicans make a grill using a rim from a vehicle, a few sticks of rebar and a gas burner attached, I wonder if I could find some place where they sell these burners and get ahold of one or a couple of them and see if I can get someone to fit it in my grill?

What does it need besides burners?

The valves are bronze/brass and should be fine.

Local metal guys can make the top and lava rock grills.

Even with shipping it can't be that expensive to get burners...:confused:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
What does it need besides burners?

The valves are bronze/brass and should be fine.

Local metal guys can make the top and lava rock grills.

Even with shipping it can't be that expensive to get burners...:confused:

Yeah, I may be wrong on the math, but I was assuming the venturi would need replacing as well, also the rock plate is in pretty bad shape and if I made the order I would probably toss in the cooking grids as well since mine are ina semi advanced state of rust.

All that stuff together would cost around 225 on CLAGRILLS.com or Amazon, then there's US domestic shipping to EPS and finally EPS shipping and whatever they decide to tax me for my "auto parts" or whatever they decide is in the package.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
i would not even consider fixing it, especially not for that money. you can buy one new at pricesmart for not too expensive. thats where mine came from.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
i would not even consider fixing it, especially not for that money. you can buy one new at pricesmart for not too expensive. thats where mine came from.

Exactly, that's where I got this one all those years ago. But if I go down there I will probably not be able to deal with the temptation to buy a much nicer one for a lot more money than I should spend right now.

I will go take a look at the parts at Jumbo and if that doesn't work out I will have a nice charcoal grill and a spare propane tank.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Just get the burner. That's all you need. The rest can be done here cheap, like the metal work.

I doubt you need a new valve.

The burners can't be much...maybe $25 max. And weigh maybe 5 pounds MAX.

May 5, 2007
I'm a downer

No mean remarks intended, but PLEASE dont let that child stand next to a hot grill on a folding chair

I'm sure she is being watched, but one quick movement and she is scarred for life :-(

IMG_0167.JPG

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
No mean remarks intended, but PLEASE dont let that child stand next to a hot grill on a folding chair

I'm sure she is being watched, but one quick movement and she is scarred for life :-(

Thanks, I understand your concern, you'll be happy to know I am usually holding her with one hand when she's cooking. Also it's a pretty sturdy chair and she has a healthy respect for fire, stoves and hot things.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Mike: Corner of Las Carreras and Mella? (or one above or one below) Place sell these burners and local made grills....cheap and they are good folks

HB

Reactions: mike l

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Those steaks look mighty good. Do you mind me asking what they are called here and what store sells them. They look like rib steaks with bone-in and I've looked everywhere for them. Pleeeeeeease.......

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Those steaks look mighty good. Do you mind me asking what they are called here and what store sells them. They look like rib steaks with bone-in and I've looked everywhere for them. Pleeeeeeease.......

These are actually pork ribs I got at Nacional. I was cooking them for the winning team in a sales competition at my office. Sometimes at Nacional you can get the pork ribs with an extra layer of meat on them that doesn't traditionally come with the rib, I am not sure what this is called but they sure are tasty.

One thing I discovered after this particular batch is that it's better to get the whole "plancha" without it being cut up, marinate overnight with fresh rosemary and cook it whole like that and only cut it after-wards. It can be a challenge to tell when it's "done" without cutting into it but its alot juicier this way if you happen to get it right.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003

Oh, and BTW you may look at something called "chuleton" if you want rib steaks with the bone in it. These are pretty good though I have never felt I got one "right" - I will keep trying.

Also "chuleton de ternero" are veal chops and these can be real good if you get the marinade right.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Those are called "Country Style Ribs"...they are labeled the same or something similar in Nacional and/or La Sirena...I don't remember exactly but I don't think it was "Costillos de estillo de campo" ;-)

Occasionally the veal chops at Nacional are AMAZING...depends on how they cut them, sometimes they look beautiful and sometimes they literally look like someone hacked them up with an axe...

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Hi Mr Mike,
Dont know if you have been to Jumbo but they have( Saturday 30th January :
single tap burners about 17" long for RD$1095,
Ignitor sets for RD$595
Brass fittings for tanks
Regulator and hose to BBQ

They have other stuff too

Hope that helps

Olly