Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My grill is dying....

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My grill is dying....

After 7 years, 7 million calories, and hundreds of delicious fuzzy animals (some feathered ones as well) my gas grill is finally dying.

It seems the weather is getting the best of it and the burners have rusted out to a point where all the gas comes up in one spot in a huge fountain of flame.

I have priced replacement parts, as they are available online however when I take into account all of the parts that are in need of replacing and factor in shipping I am approaching the price I originally paid for the thing, ~300 US.

So I am down to two choices,

Gut the gas parts and convert it into a charcoal grill, or

I have seen some very inventive dominicans make a grill using a rim from a vehicle, a few sticks of rebar and a gas burner attached, I wonder if I could find some place where they sell these burners and get ahold of one or a couple of them and see if I can get someone to fit it in my grill?

Does anyone know where in Santiago I might find these burners for sale?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Mr Mike

Grill burners for the smaller BBQ are available in Jumbo ,Santiago in stainless steel. not sure if they will fit your grill but it is worth a try. I have a two tap Fiesta BBQ and the new burner cost RD$1300 or so.

Its working fine now

They have other bits too - go in the entrance - turn round to right , into the corner where BBQs are - they were on the shelves there.

Good luck

HTH
    Olly

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MrMike View Post

After 7 years, 7 million calories, and hundreds of delicious fuzzy animals (some feathered ones as well) my gas grill is finally dying.

It seems the weather is getting the best of it and the burners have rusted out to a point where all the gas comes up in one spot in a huge fountain of flame.

I have priced replacement parts, as they are available online however when I take into account all of the parts that are in need of replacing and factor in shipping I am approaching the price I originally paid for the thing, ~300 US.

I have seen some very inventive dominicans make a grill using a rim from a vehicle, a few sticks of rebar and a gas burner attached, I wonder if I could find some place where they sell these burners and get ahold of one or a couple of them and see if I can get someone to fit it in my grill?

What does it need besides burners?

The valves are bronze/brass and should be fine.

Local metal guys can make the top and lava rock grills.

Even with shipping it can't be that expensive to get burners...

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

if you can hold out for a few months i'll sell you mine.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    What does it need besides burners?

The valves are bronze/brass and should be fine.

Local metal guys can make the top and lava rock grills.

Even with shipping it can't be that expensive to get burners...
    Yeah, I may be wrong on the math, but I was assuming the venturi would need replacing as well, also the rock plate is in pretty bad shape and if I made the order I would probably toss in the cooking grids as well since mine are ina semi advanced state of rust.

All that stuff together would cost around 225 on CLAGRILLS.com or Amazon, then there's US domestic shipping to EPS and finally EPS shipping and whatever they decide to tax me for my "auto parts" or whatever they decide is in the package.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

i would not even consider fixing it, especially not for that money. you can buy one new at pricesmart for not too expensive. thats where mine came from.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Bye View Post
    i would not even consider fixing it, especially not for that money. you can buy one new at pricesmart for not too expensive. thats where mine came from.
    Exactly, that's where I got this one all those years ago. But if I go down there I will probably not be able to deal with the temptation to buy a much nicer one for a lot more money than I should spend right now.

I will go take a look at the parts at Jumbo and if that doesn't work out I will have a nice charcoal grill and a spare propane tank.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Just get the burner. That's all you need. The rest can be done here cheap, like the metal work.

I doubt you need a new valve.

The burners can't be much...maybe $25 max. And weigh maybe 5 pounds MAX.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Can't help but just wanted to say 'what a great picture'
    Good luck!

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I'm a downer

No mean remarks intended, but PLEASE dont let that child stand next to a hot grill on a folding chair

I'm sure she is being watched, but one quick movement and she is scarred for life :-(

Quote Originally Posted by MrMike View Post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast