Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default making water clean in the house

I am hoping I can bring somehting over that will clean water like we have on our faucets here in the states.. I know there are companies ove rthere in the DR selling potable water from little trucks that weave through the small streets of La Caleta, but I know from speaking to my friends that it can stil make you sick. So I wondered if there is a filter or a tablet or somehting I can buy and bring over so that they can hav drinkable water in the house, and not have to buy water from the colmado every time... cheers Mike

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

proper water filter would be too expensive. water from colmado costs only 35 pesos per 5 gallon bottle and all dominicans use it. i do not think they would trust tap water no mater what filter you install - it's not in their culture, you know. if you want to make water a bit better drop a pill of chlorine into cisterna (half a pill if cistern is small). it will not make the water drinkable but it will help a bit - you'll be able to wash and cook veggies safely.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

35 pesos for 5 gallons? I pay 10 pesos for a small bottle at the local colmado... if it is that cheap I would willingly fill up the blue barrel I sent them with water that lies dormant in thier kitchen right now.. are you sure it's so cheap? Is that the 5 gal bottle I see them carrying to the little truck that moves around selling water potable...? because they tell me they wonlt actually drink it....but 10 pesos for a small bottled water ( maybe 12 ounces) is what I pay at their local colmado...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

ok, actually 35 pesos if for the water itself and the bottle is around 120 - 130 pesos. it works like this: you buy two bottles (240 - 260 pesos) and then go with an empty one to colmado and exchange it for a full one (35 pesos, may be a bit more or less, depending on water). you can also have a bottling plant deliver to you a whole metal cage with bottles (6, 12 or more) and pay deposit (whatever full bottles are worth). then give them a call each time you are short of full bottles and they come to take empty ones (and charge for water only).
    come to think of it colmado water may is 40 pesos, we pay 34 pesos per 5 gallon bottle straight from producer.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

You pay for the initial 5 gal blue bottle and exchange this every time you buy another 'galon'.
    This is an initial outlay of about 200 pesos.
    I have paid from 25 pesos to 50 pesos for the water and the taste did not differ noticeably.

When I first got here I could not figure out how people could afford to drink water when I looked at the price of a 2 ltr bottle from the supermarket - almost as much as a 5 gal container.
    It was weeks before I figured out what was going on.

Your guts will get used to it soon enough.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Google water purification online....there's scores of companies making tablets, purifiers and 2 part chemicals that will clean drinking water. Aquamira is one brand I know of.

You can also opt for a reverse osmosis (RO) system you can put in under the sink....filters need to be replaced every 90 days...that will get everything...guaranteed

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pyratt View Post
    Google water purification online....there's scores of companies making tablets, purifiers and 2 part chemicals that will clean drinking water. Aquamira is one brand I know of.

You can also opt for a reverse osmosis (RO) system you can put in under the sink....filters need to be replaced every 90 days...that will get everything...guaranteed
    Yes it will, UNTIL the filters need replaced. This is the part that will never happen either due to unavailability for no money.

35rd per 5 gallon of water 120rd for the bottle the first time can be bought at La Sirena. Habit won't let them or me drink from the tap.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by amstellite View Post
    35 pesos for 5 gallons? I pay 10 pesos for a small bottle at the local colmado... if it is that cheap I would willingly fill up the blue barrel I sent them with water that lies dormant in thier kitchen right now.. are you sure it's so cheap? Is that the 5 gal bottle I see them carrying to the little truck that moves around selling water potable...? because they tell me they wonlt actually drink it....but 10 pesos for a small bottled water ( maybe 12 ounces) is what I pay at their local colmado...
    We moved from Canada to Santiago in Aug. We paid 200 pesos each for 2 large blue water jugs at the Colmado just 3 doors down. When they are empty we walk over and exchange it for a full one - 25 pesos. We have NEVER been sick since we got here and we drink this water ALL the time. The taste is fine and I also use it for my coffee, tea, cooking & washing veggies. Ours is 'Agua Cascada' - cheap, easy and no problems!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi!! A couple of years ago I purchased an on-sink water purifier for drinking water. The filter is ceramic and need only be replaced after several years. I believe it is Birksfield or something like that and I purchased it at Baillon in Santiago. To clean the filter one need only unscrew the top, lift the ceramic filter out and wash with mild soap and water. Once clean just insert again and screw the top back on. I gotta say the water tastes a lot better than it did from those questionable jugs from the colmados.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default British Berkefeld

I used a British Berkefeld during the 4+ years I lived in SD.......never a problem. I had a 4 element Big Berkey model. It holds about 2 gallons and takes less than an hour to purify by gravity. They make larger, and smaller, models. Costly but very well worth it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast