Question about Aid

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
My son's school and all the other schools in the district here in TX are collecting items to send to Haiti. All the 1st graders are to bring a Tube of Toothpaste and Toothbrush..The other grades are tasked with bringing other similar items.

Are these items really needed? Wouldn't it make more sense to donate the money to an aid group and have them distribute it?

I have no idea how they plan on getting the items to Haiti.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
YES. You are correct.

It would be cheaper and much more efficient to donate to an organization that will buy these items in bulk in the DR and bring over.

Here is a great post on donating food and other items. 6 questions you should ask before donating goods overseas

My gym is doing something similar. I looked in the donation boxes and there were items such as Coco Puffs, pesto sauce and basically any expired food item that people cleaned out of their houses. I spoke to the person coordinating, and they hadn't even thought as far as to where they were taking the food after they were done.

I explained that I had experience working for NGOs and disaster response overseas. I explained that I understood the desire to help and offered to help find another fundraiser that would be more efficient and effective.

I got a blank stare and eye roll as I walked away.