Best MMA Gym in Puerto Plata

Knuk

Jan 29, 2010
Hey, I'm new to the forums. I actually signed up primarily to get this question answered. But I was wondering if there were any Mixed Martial Arts gyms in Puerto Plata. I'm headed to the DR for a few months and I'm looking for a place to train. I'd definitely consider myself a novice, but I'm wanting to start training daily. Any suggestions? Thanks

Knuk

Jan 29, 2010
Thanks for all the responses. Sounds like there are a few to choose from. I'll have to check some of them out.

Knuk

Jan 29, 2010
Do any of these gyms have weights for strength training? If not, where might I find one of those? And also, it seems like most of these focus on BJJ, which is fine, but do they offer other styles as well, like Muy Thai? And are there events that they participate in? Because I'd really like to get involved in competing if possible. Thanks again.

PrincessaDR

Nov 4, 2009
No weight training for that go to American Gym or Fausto Gym - they are in POP close to downtown.

Other styles? Probably not.

gringostudent

Jun 20, 2005
MMa

Theres some guys in Cabarete, one guy called El Chino, another named Papo, and some Canadian guy thats a purple belt. They are called Ju juitsu de la costa. Some of them are pretty sick, they came down to a tourney in the capital in December and made a real good showing. Most of them are surfers and pretty nice guys.

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
Why thanks, gringo!

Knuk: There is a gym at Extreme as well. We generally stick to the BJJ, which is our base, but when there is a fight coming up we dial up the boxing, thai and wrestling.

As I mentioned in a previous post, feel free to PM (private message) me and I'll give you more information. I don;t want to appear to self-promote on these boards, so I'd be happy to answer any of your questions via PM.

Cheers!

Joe