Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Who can stop this tragedy?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Who can stop this tragedy?

According to the Saturday Toronto Star: A more plausible scenario, according to Baptiste, is that children may be exiting the country by car through Haiti's 360-kilometre border with the Dominican Republic where they could be more easily equipped with falsified papers and sold to the highest bidder.

Orphaned children are being sold as sex slaves, and the pedophiles are avoiding the airports in Haiti because papers are needed. How can we stop this from happening?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Poll's Forum Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

A few minutes ago I was watching ABC News and the news anchor very quickly mentioned that a group of people were arrested at the border attempting to smuggle Haitian kids into the DR. The arrest came after they failed to supply proper documentation to justify the entry of the kids into Dominican territory. Among the arrested was the head of an NGO organization (a charity) from the US.

I'll see if there is anything about this online, if I find anything I'll add a link.

Didn't take long to find an article about this:

Americans arrested taking children out of Haiti

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Let's all write Oprah!

Obviously there is a need for legitimate refuge within Haiti and the DR for orphans. Is there any foster parenting system in either country to aid these children while awaiting final word on their families?

Post Thanks / Like

NALs: aslo mentioned tonight on CNN.

I hope that this is going to be stopped...

This is only the tip of the issues facing Haiti now...

God help them.

HB

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

The news link provided was a group of US missionaries that had collected some 30 odd kids that they were relocating to the DR to establish an orphanage. It was coordinated with a Haitan Pastor in PAP.

Human trafficking - not likely. Illegal - probably. The right thing to do - most certainly.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

This is now in a lot of newspapers. According to the Washington Times the children were going to be temporarily housed in a 45 roomed Cabarete hotel, leased by the organisation until their permanent orphanage was built.
    10 detained for crossing Haiti border with orphans
    'The group described their plans on a Web site where they also asked for tax-deductible contributions, saying they would "gather" 100 orphans and bus them to the Dominican resort of Cabarete, before building a more permanent orphanage in the Dominican town of Magante.'

'The plan was never to go adopt all these kids. The plan was to create this orphanage where kids could live. And kids get adopted out of orphanages. People go down and they're going to fall in love with these kids, and many of these kids will end up getting adopted.'

I pause a bit when I read that last sentence: child cuteness really shouldn't be featuring too much in the serious 20 year (or so) task of bringing up a child, but maybe it was just an unthinking quote from a relative of one of those arrested. But I DO wonder, if these children were to be adopted from the DR and not Haiti, how much this organisation had liaised with CONANI for example.

Other reports here:
    Haiti holds 10 US citizens over trafficking concerns

Haiti arrests US nationals suspected of child smuggling Obviously they only gathered 33 children and not the 100 they were hoping for.

However, it is clear that this was a planned visit to Haiti if you read what the organisation itself says, so not trafficking.
    New Life Children’s Refuge
    Haitian Orphan Rescue Mission

It seems like they thought they had permission from the DR government to import these children. But.........why no clearance from what is left of the Haitian government to export them from Haiti?

Post Thanks / Like

I think they let their "God will provide" and "We are Americans doing good" attitudes interfere with reality...

While the idea might be nice I can see several issues:"Why DR and not Haiti?" "Why not northern Haiti?" "Why another language and religion" and I am sure a lot more would arise.

They were most likely trying to do good in the "we are American missionaries, and we know better than you do" attitude so many of them have, which is not going to cut this. I am sure it will be resolved, but those people took a hit as to their program...

And, of course, one problem is where to find the right people to talk to in the first place...there are no government buildings standing according to my students. So where would yuou go to get the proper forms and signitures...I can empathize with these folks...especially with the "get it done" attitudes they bring.

HB

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like they weren't prepared to pay the necessary "exit duties". I'm sure these people's intentions were good. They were not sinister human traffickers but it is nonetheless a genuine concern.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Arrest traffickers not do-gooders

If anything, the arrest of well meaning rescuers shows how we cannot depend on Dominican policing to arrest the right people. For sure the real traffickers will pay and get through without arrest.

Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast