Shallow beach in DR

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
you can find that all along puerto plata towns malecon (oceanside blvd.) and at the end of it where its called Long Beach. In fact, that pic looks like it was taken of the beach along the Malecon. That rock out there looks familiar. You can go really far in and its only up to your knees plus the water is really calm. My toddler LOVES it as its perfect for the little ones or just lounging in the water without having to worry about waves going over your head.

sammytheman

Sep 18, 2007
If I remember the beach along the malecon is pretty rough, and at the end there is a fort. Not a white sand, turquoise, shallow beach ;( In fact the best beach I found was in Sosua. Are you talking about the same Puerto Plata? Any pics would be appreciated. Thanks.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The shallowest beach I know of is Playa Diamonte past Playa Grands near Cabrera.

It's also the most unusual Beach I've ever seen.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
like Cobraboy says, Playa Diamonte is the shallowest beach, as well as the calmest beach on the island....you can walk out about 250 meters and the water is about chest deep.....it is also where some underground rivers meet the salt water, so the the lighter, cooler fresh water come together with the warmer, heavier salt water to create a unique experience....
Located east of Cabrera about 5km, before Dudu Lake (aka blue lagoon).... and presidente grande's are cold and cheap for the beach

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
La Ensenada at Punta Rucia is famous for its color and tranquil waters. Also Elsa's food is worth the whole trip!! Right Chiri?>??

HB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
La Ensenada at Punta Rucia is famous for its color and tranquil waters. Also Elsa's food is worth the whole trip!! Right Chiri?>??

HB

I know it's early but my mouth is watering. :D

Some of the beaches here in the east are quite shallow, like Juanillo (Cap Cana) and Playa Blanca (Punta Cana).

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

HB

We were there about a month ago, it was a beautiful beach - and my in-laws took us to Elsa's to eat. HB, photos of the giant lobsters at Elsa's are on my Facebook page. The big giant one was $1000/RD, I can't imagine what one that size would cost in the US! Like they say, if you have to ask......

AE

blackrainbow

Dec 26, 2009
hmmmm

i went to one of these kinda beaches, and the sand was more like clay, or quicksand....

n2921010608197507972.jpg

The tide was out here, what was this beach called, someone may know it?

POPNYChic

Bronze
Jul 27, 2009
If I remember the beach along the malecon is pretty rough, and at the end there is a fort. Not a white sand, turquoise, shallow beach ;( In fact the best beach I found was in Sosua. Are you talking about the same Puerto Plata? Any pics would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ummm i go every week and its practically a pool w calm shallow water, sandy beaches and beautiful turquoise water. are YOU taking about the same POP malecon? how long has it been since you observed it carefully?

Sosua, on the other hand is always rough these days and pretty deep a few feet in past the sandbar. Not suitable for my toddler at all.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Blackrainbow:
That photo really looks like Playa Diamonte when the tide is high.....judging by the little beer shack and the outhouse to the left....nice photo

negro americano

Feb 29, 2008
It's Diamante

That's definitely Diamante. I for 2 or 3 agree that it's the weirdest beach i've ever been to. I was almost scared to get in!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
More Playa Diamante:

BaseballBegins.jpg

WetBeachatPlayaDiamonte2.jpg

There are a bazillion of these everywhere, little fresh water springs burbling up:
WetBeach.jpg

One of the oddest beaches I've ever experienced...