Coming to DR to help

fraserah

Feb 1, 2010
I am planning on heading down to DR sometime this week to try and help with the relief efforts. I am not currently aligned with an organization there, but will be bringing resources to help out and to take with me.

Does anyone know if I would be able to find volunteer work after I deliver my goods. If not, I plan on flying back into the US after that. I would love to stay for a while if I could be of assistance to another aid organization.

I have read many stories of people just jumping on a plane and going into Haiti without being prepared. This has caused a strain on some relief organizations. I do not want to be part of the problem there. I only want to help if I am needed.

Also, I was hoping to procure relief supplies in DR to send into Haiti. Are the stores and wholesalers in DR overwhelmed, or would I be able to get these things easily???

Any assistance on this matter would be greatly appreciated...

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I think you d get a better deal on purchasing if you went into BJs and bought some stuff in bulk. Now shipping it would be a bit with the airlines charging for extra weight. But look into that. I d like to steer you in a direction but I m trying to see where the MSF-Medicin San Frontier camp is and then if you have triage experience they may be able to use you. Or even when they get the tent cities started they will need food pros. They have alot of Haitian/Dominican NGOs in NYC putting together things to do over there. Even OAS and Caricom are putting things together

fraserah

Feb 1, 2010
Thanks for the help....

It looks like I am going to need to take a shipment in Leogane. Than I should be good to go elsewhere. It should be the middle of next week before I get there. Please let me know where you head. I know there should be a great need in the tent cities, so I may be headed there later next week. From the responses I have received, I dont think there is any shortage of people wanting me to be there.

Anyone, Please post places that are in bad need of help in this thread. Even if I am not able to make it to those camps, someone reading it may be able to....\

Thanks again...

fraserah

Feb 1, 2010
Ignore last post, this is what I was trying to say... I wanted to specify that I do have contacts and guides in Haiti, and the means and security to move the goods...

Thanks for the help....

It looks like I am going to need to take a shipment in Leogane. I have a group there that will take my truckloads of goods then re-distribute them. I will probably head back into DR after that to set up one more load of goods. Than I should be good to go elsewhere. It should be the middle of next week before I get there. Please let me know where you head. The tent cities are a possibility, but I will have my Haitian guides and the family I am meeting work out those details if I am needed. From the responses I have received, I dont think there is any shortage of people needed, even if its in DR.

Thanks again...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Ignore last post, this is what I was trying to say... I wanted to specify that I do have contacts and guides in Haiti, and the means and security to move the goods...

Thanks for the help....

It looks like I am going to need to take a shipment in Leogane. I have a group there that will take my truckloads of goods then re-distribute them. I will probably head back into DR after that to set up one more load of goods. Than I should be good to go elsewhere. It should be the middle of next week before I get there. Please let me know where you head. The tent cities are a possibility, but I will have my Haitian guides and the family I am meeting work out those details if I am needed. From the responses I have received, I dont think there is any shortage of people needed, even if its in DR.

Thanks again...

PLEASE be AWARE that a relief truck was assaulted and attacked in Leogane over the last few days.... You will need protection most likely to offload your supplies....

fraserah

Feb 1, 2010
Thanks for the posts. I had not heard about the assault form the group I am meeting. I will be bringing security with me from DR to try and avoid such an incident.

Your blog post was very informative. I will be stopping my the UN house once I arrive in SD next week. I will continue to monitor your blog. I have read it in the past, and it has had some extremely good information.

I also want to thank everyone that participates in this forum. The information provided in all the threads has been an invaluable source of information. I am sure I am not the only NGO that has used the information here to gain insight into logistics, security, and situations on the ground...

Bravo people for coming together helping out....

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I dont know where you from but the Bedford Stuyvesant Volunteer Ambulance Corps, from Brooklyn has 44 medics over there and if you know triage you should rendez-vous with them.

fraserah

Feb 1, 2010
I have a feeling I am probably going to have alot to do in Leogane. The reports I have received on the ground from there are awful and amazing.... From people assaulting relief trucks, to Haitians giving up all they have right now to help their neighbors....

Its sad that news organizations are concentrating on the bad, rather than all the great things happening and the love between human kind.... My contact are telling me amazing stories about the people on the ground....

For every bad person in a society or disaster, there are 100 good people... Ill take 1 in 100 any day in any country.....

Please keep posting groups and areas that need other volunteers.... Although I may not be able to connect with them, I am sure someone reading this thread will be able too....