Moving to San Pedro De Macoris in August...

ANNICHE01

Feb 1, 2010
I'm moving to SPDM in August with my husband, and would like some advice on the area. My husband will be attending UCE, we are both Colombians and in our early to mid-twenties. Just want to know where would be a good place to live in and information on SPDM in general.

Thank you

anniche01

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
What do you want to know???!!!

1. You could live in San Pedro - or Juan Dolio. San pedro is cheaper and closer to hospitals, supermarkets, shops etc. Best area is behind Jumbo supermarket - the electric is more reliable there.

2. Juan Dolio is as Rubio said around 10 kms away and has more upmarket accommodation, 24 hour electric, the beach - but you would need to go into San pedro for shopping. Easy for your husband to commute - just a bus ride away, and possibly a bit more pleasant for you.

3. Depends if you want to work and if you have children too.

Think of some specific questions and let me know!

Matilda

ANNICHE01

Feb 1, 2010
Thank you Guys ^_^

Matilda we do not have kids and I do not plan to work initially but you never know.

1. Do you know about apartments for rent around JUMBO? we are planning on moving the 1st week of august

2. How's the area around UCE?
I've tried to find pictures online but haven't had luck

3. Being native Spanish speakers, i don't believe we will have any problems

Can't think of anything else right now.

if you guys have any more tips or suggestions I'd love to hear them

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Thank you Guys ^_^

Matilda we do not have kids and I do not plan to work initially but you never know.

1. Do you know about apartments for rent around JUMBO? we are planning on moving the 1st week of august

No sorry I don't. You really need to be here to find an apt. Suggest you book into a hotel in Juan Dolio for first few days and then hunt for apt. Let me know if you want hotel info

2. How's the area around UCE?
I've tried to find pictures online but haven't had luck

UCE is very close to Jumbo. Again quite a good area behind UCE.

3. Being native Spanish speakers, i don't believe we will have any problems

Well it will certainly help speaking spanish!!!

Can't think of anything else right now.

if you guys have any more tips or suggestions I'd love to hear them

Check out Google maps which will give you a bit re the lie of the land.

matilda

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
SPM is one of the ugliest cities in the DR with a rich history of "what used to be" ....

If you can afford UCE, you can afford UNPHU or UNIBE or INTEC in Santo Domingo...maybe even PUCMM in Santiago...so why on earth would you go to UCE??

Sorry for you...

HB

todobien

Jul 20, 2008
I would agree with Matilda about the area around Jumbo. Also look around the west end of the malecon close to the Howard Johnson Hotel Macorix. There are several apt/condo buildings with many students of UCE. With all due respect to Hillbillie, SPM is a fine town, and UCE is a good school.

ANNICHE01

Feb 1, 2010
San Pedro de Macoris is a very dirty city.
I only go there to go to the supermarket and than quickly back to Juan Dolio.

What do you mean when you say that? you don't like the town in general?

is there anything to do there besides the beach? also, which is the nearest airport?

I like baseball but don't I don't Love it.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
San Pedro has fabulous architecture, but has not been maintained. I would not call it ugly, I would call it fascinating!! The main attraction I suppose is the Malecon which is lively at night with lots of food stalls, clubs, bars etc. The cathedral is very impressive. There is no beach to speak of - most people head to Juan Dolio. The park in the centre of town is a nice place to sit and read the newspaper. No cinema, no theatre, there is a little museum!!

The nearest airport is Santo Domingo, las Americas, about 30 mins away, or La Romana in the other direction about 45 mins away. Punta Cana airport is a 3 hour drive.

matilda

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
)
the glory days of SPM were back in the 20s...Even in Trujillo's times the city was alive because of the sugar mills.(It used to be surrounded by sugar mills) . As sugar declined, so did the city. While it has a rich tradition of "cocolos" (Blacks brought from the English-speaking islands to work in the sugar mills), they are dying out, as are the mills themselves. The city is dirty, smelly and has very little to offer, I am sorry to say.
)
As far as UCE goes, well, let's just say it is a "for profit" business and carries on as such.
)
There are NO beaches in SPM. You have to go out of town for that..

If you gave me a list of places to live in this country, SPM would be near the bottom.

Everyone on this board knows I live in Santiago, but you will notice I put forth three universities in Santo Domingo first. ( I am presuming that your husband is going to study medicine>?)
)
Intellectual stimulation in SPM is nearly non-existant, and even the people that own the baseball team and the UCE don't live there...they live in Santo Domingo...of course.

Sorry, but you asked.

HB

ANNICHE01

Feb 1, 2010
)
the glory days of SPM were back in the 20s...Even in Trujillo's times the city was alive because of the sugar mills.(It used to be surrounded by sugar mills) . As sugar declined, so did the city. While it has a rich tradition of "cocolos" (Blacks brought from the English-speaking islands to work in the sugar mills), they are dying out, as are the mills themselves. The city is dirty, smelly and has very little to offer, I am sorry to say.
)
As far as UCE goes, well, let's just say it is a "for profit" business and carries on as such.
)
There are NO beaches in SPM. You have to go out of town for that..

If you gave me a list of places to live in this country, SPM would be near the bottom.

Everyone on this board knows I live in Santiago, but you will notice I put forth three universities in Santo Domingo first. ( I am presuming that your husband is going to study medicine>?)
)
Intellectual stimulation in SPM is nearly non-existant, and even the people that own the baseball team and the UCE don't live there...they live in Santo Domingo...of course.

Sorry, but you asked.

HB

Thank You Matilda and Hillbilly, I take everything you've said with an open mind.

Hillbilly from what you're telling me there is NOTHING TO DO in SPM ?!? and
Yes my husband is going to study medicine

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
if you can afford it, come up here and look around. it may save you lots of headache, heartache, and money if you can visit before august. after all, august is a long way off, there is time. this way you'll be able to settle in comfortably and your husband can concentrate on school, not noisy neighbors, moving three times during the first semester makes it tough to worry about homework.

SosuaJoe

Feb 24, 2005
There are a group of expat medical students training Brazilian Jujitsu out there, if you're interested.

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
I agree that SPM would be at or near the bottom of my list of places to live in this country. Poor, dirty, crime ridden & devoid of meaningful entertainment. There are a lot of great places here, SPM is not one of them imo.

ANNICHE01

Feb 1, 2010
We decided to go visit in June to scout the area and see if it's for us

Thank you all for your opinions