High Speed Internet

SGA

Feb 2, 2010
I am in Sosua. How can I get legitimate high speed Internet? I want to connect to Xbox Live and do online multiplayer gaming. The highest Internet speed I've been able to find is 1.5Mb, which is pathetic. I wouldnt' even bother going on AIM with that, let alone Xbox. I've seen that there is up to 5Mb available for $211, which is laughable and somewhat insulting. I wouldn't mind paying $211 a month, but that's if I was getting at least getting 10Mb.

Has anyone figured out a way around this, or know of any other alternatives for LEGITIMATE high speed internet? At home (in the US), I get 15Mb standard ($55 a month). Does everyone on this island really function on 1.5Mb??? I'm so frustrated.

Someone please help me :((

Coralia

Mar 30, 2007
www.myspace.com
hi there, sounds you are addictive, anyway someone will comeup with a solution for yeh dear....(i just needdto write this....lol...with no offence ok!)

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Maybe you should recall that you are in a DEVELOPING nation and that affordable internet speed is not really a number one priority.

If you want to sit on a couch all day and play video games stay in the States. :ermm:

Feb 7, 2007
At home (in the US), I get 15Mb standard ($55 a month). Does everyone on this island really function on 1.5Mb??? I'm so frustrated.

Well, my friend, in my home country my folks can get 100 mbps internet for that price (40 euros) or get 15 Mb for 8 Euros, but my friend, you ARE on the ISLAND (we don't have backbones and peering hubs and OC-192 nods and SONET rings around here)... I have 768 kbps here for 1300 pesos, which is almost 40 dollars ... take it or leave it ... get used to it.

SGA

Feb 2, 2010
Maybe you should recall that you are in a DEVELOPING nation and that affordable internet speed is not really a number one priority.

If you want to sit on a couch all day and play video games stay in the States. :ermm:

uhh, yea. i'm a teenage female and not into prostitution.. so i guess i do. anyway, thank you for all the sarcastic info everybody! :D. my bad for asking

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Guy's, what are you complaining about???

We get at the most 80 kbps (paying for 3,5 MB) and we are running Internet business in Europe. Now there is a challenge :cheeky:

Long live Claro and Banda Ancha...the most inadequate company on the island...they even cut off their help line when things are hopeless.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Well, my friend, in my home country my folks can get 100 mbps internet for that price (40 euros) or get 15 Mb for 8 Euros, but my friend, you ARE on the ISLAND (we don't have backbones and peering hubs and OC-192 nods and SONET rings around here)... I have 768 kbps here for 1300 pesos, which is almost 40 dollars ... take it or leave it ... get used to it.

Uhm we don't have:

24/7 electricity

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Uhm we don't have:

24/7 electricity

LOL, I was waiting for someone to break this news to the OP.
The 1.5 mb download / 128 upload doesn't mean you get this same exact speed.
lately my internet in santiago has come to a crawling speed and I pay 1mb download price.
AZB

Reshma

May 20, 2011
i have high speed compare to you ...

I checked my internet speed here ScanmySpeed : Check my Internet Speed it very helpful for me to know my internet speed &
it provides the following result .
Upload speed : 1.96 Mb/s
Download speed : 0.73 Mb/s & very much astonished to see very low speed in it . Is there any way to increase my internet speed

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
i have high speed compare to you ...

I checked my internet speed here ScanmySpeed : Check my Internet Speed it very helpful for me to know my internet speed &
it provides the following result .
Upload speed : 1.96 Mb/s
Download speed : 0.73 Mb/s & very much astonished to see very low speed in it . Is there any way to increase my internet speed

Pay more money for a faster plan (if available).

young seniors

Bronze
Feb 1, 2012
uhh, yea. i'm a teenage female and not into prostitution.. so i guess i do. anyway, thank you for all the sarcastic info everybody! :D. my bad for asking

yeah some of em can be pretty nasty at times, wondering what they do all day

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I am in Sosua. How can I get legitimate high speed Internet? I want to connect to Xbox Live and do online multiplayer gaming. The highest Internet speed I've been able to find is 1.5Mb, which is pathetic. I wouldnt' even bother going on AIM with that, let alone Xbox. I've seen that there is up to 5Mb available for $211, which is laughable and somewhat insulting. I wouldn't mind paying $211 a month, but that's if I was getting at least getting 10Mb.

Has anyone figured out a way around this, or know of any other alternatives for LEGITIMATE high speed internet? At home (in the US), I get 15Mb standard ($55 a month). Does everyone on this island really function on 1.5Mb??? I'm so frustrated.

Someone please help me :((

I just upgraded to a faster plan with Claro/Codtetel DSL. I am supposed to be getting 4 mbps down and 1 mbps upload in a plan that should cost me less than my previous 1.5 mbps down plan. I just checked and I am getting 3.623 mbps down and 0.469 mbps up. Pretty close on the download speed but about 50% of the upload for which I am paying. Maybe they can improve it and maybe not. It is the DR.

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
cant believe no one knows about Ola Tekcom on the north! they can give u ANY speed for reasonable price. We got symmetric channel 3 Meg for 100$. I swear with them. best internet on the north. (i was a client of every internet provider here). There are tariff plans on their website but just ask them to give you the speed you need and they will do custom plan for u.

PeteyPablo

Bronze
Apr 30, 2011
cant believe no one knows about Ola Tekcom on the north! they can give u ANY speed for reasonable price. We got symmetric channel 3 Meg for 100$. I swear with them. best internet on the north. (i was a client of every internet provider here). There are tariff plans on their website but just ask them to give you the speed you need and they will do custom plan for u.

Jess, if your speed is reliable then that is not a bad deal at all. Most companies just offer asymmetrical internet and don't even offer symmetrical...and if they do it is always more expensive. This type of line is EXCELLENT for video conferencing or running your own streaming services (music, movies, etc).

For those that don't know what the heck was just said...
Symmetrical is same speed for download and upload and Asymmetrical is higher download than upload speed. An example: Symmetrical 3mb down & 3mb up while Asymmetrical is 3mb down and 1mb upload.