Mathematical terms in Spanish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
EXPERTS ONLY PLEASE

Please help me with the translation of the following sentences. In parenthesis below is what I have been saying:

2 plus 2 equals 4.
(2 mas dos hace/es igual a 4)

2 time 2 equals 4.
(2 por 2 hace/es igual a 4)

2 divided by 2 equals 1.
(2 dividido por 2 hace/es igual a 1)

2 minus 2 equals 0.
(2 restando 2 hace/es igual a 0)

Pick a number less than or equal to 10 but more than 5.
(Escoge un numero iqual o menos que (el) 10 pero mas que (el) 5)

Pick a number between 5 and 10.
(Escoge un numero entre (el) 5 y (el) 10)

It also seems here they will put the article "el" before the number like "el cinco va despues del ocho".

This is for my daughter's homework and since my wife isn't that good at math it is up to me. PLEASE NO GUESSING!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dos ENTRE dos igual a uno...
Dos MENOS uno igual a uno

The rest look good to me...

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Dos ENTRE dos igual a uno...
Dos MENOS uno igual a uno

The rest look good to me...

HB

Thanks Luis as always.

Not to be a stickler but:

Shouldn't it be "dos entre dos es igual a uno"?

Also, is the use of "el" as I had shown in parenthesis before the number correct and and also interchangeable most of the time with leaving out the article in front of the number?

Finally, they use the term "restar" en her school so what would be the correct form of the verb to use?

Thanks!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nah, you don't need trhe ES in there...not that it hurts.

Restar = menos ( 6 o' one and 1/2 doz of the other...)

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Nah, you don't need trhe ES in there...not that it hurts.

Restar = menos ( 6 o' one and 1/2 doz of the other...)

HB

So the correct form of the verb should be for example

Seis resta tres es igual a tres?

Thanks Luis. I'm sure you can appreciate my desire to speak grammatically perfect Spanish, seeing how I can't do anything about the accent.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
No, that is too awkward. You would say Seis menos tres es igual a tres.
YUou 'could' say: "Si restas tres de seis, ?cu?nto queda?

But I do not think that you would phrase it: seis resta tres....no way...

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
No, that is too awkward. You would say Seis menos tres es igual a tres.
YUou 'could' say: "Si restas tres de seis, ?cu?nto queda?

But I do not think that you would phrase it: seis resta tres....no way...

HB

It sounding odd to me too surprisingly. I had been saying "seis restando tres es...". I just assumed if the profe was using that in their homework that they were using it in the class too. I'm trying to make it as simple as possible for my daughter.

mil gracias

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Si dos padre y dos hijos van caminando para la iglesia y alguien les da tres naranjas. A cuanto les toca a cada uno?
Respuesta:
Tres entre tres igual a uno.
Padre / Hijo / Nieto = Dos padres y dos hijos :surprised

JJ

?

? bient?t

OK, El Chip-Oh! here's how you prove to your kids that you have veinte dedos en las manos:

First, you establish that

El que dice 'uno'... dice dos, dice tres, dice cuatro, dice cinco, dieciseis, diecisiete, dieciocho, diecinueve, y veinte.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
to chip,
dos mas dos igual a cuatro, (HACE is not right)
Escoge un numero menor o igual a 10 pero mayor de 5 (dont need to use EL before the number)

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
to chip,
dos mas dos igual a cuatro, (HACE is not right)
Escoge un numero menor o igual a 10 pero mayor de 5 (dont need to use EL before the number)

No lo culpes, es que el se esta codeando con gente de un bajo grado intelectual, lamentablemente asi es que hablamos la gran mayoria de los Domincanos.:surprised:

JJ

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Bueno, el que la real academia de su aprobacion por un regionalismo no significa que este sea la forma corecta, en una conversacion yo puedo apreciar el grado de educacion de mi interlocutor y es mas hasta puedo dicernir del extracto social al que pertenece esta persona.

JJ

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
Bueno, el que la real academia de su aprobacion por un regionalismo no significa que este sea la forma corecta, en una conversacion yo puedo apreciar el grado de educacion de mi interlocutor y es mas hasta puedo dicernir del extracto social al que pertenece esta persona.

JJ

It is not a regionalism, and yes it is correct. I posted that to show that "hacer" is a verb also used in mathematic calculations.

Dos m?s dos son cuatro.
Dos y dos son cuatro.
Dos m?s dos es igual a cuatro.
Dos m?s dos suman cuatro.
Dos m?s dos hacen cuatro.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
I had been saying "seis restando tres es...". I just assumed if the profe was using that in their homework that they were using it in the class too. I'm trying to make it as simple as possible for my daughter.mil gracias

It is correct.

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I should look like an idiot when I spaek English but no in Spanish, I speak very good spanish & don't you tell me that when Chip says seis restando tres es... is correct because he is speaking backwards same way I do in English some time.
The right should be :
Si a seis le restan tres serian tres....

JJ

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
I should look like an idiot when I spaek English but no in Spanish, I speak very good spanish & don't you tell me that when Chip says seis restando tres es... is correct because he is speaking backwards same way I do in English some time.
The right should be :
Si a seis le restan tres serian tres....

JJ

No, he is not speaking backwards. Please notice that your sentence and his both have the same structure, with only the verb in a different tense.
Both sentences are colloquially correct. The verbs one uses do change their tense to fit the context of the utterance.

"Quitar" and "quedar" are verbs also used in subtraction:

Si a nueve le quitamos dos, nos quedan siete.
Restando dos de nueve, quedan siete.

Status
Not open for further replies.