buying a car for my friend in la Caleta

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I want to help my friend in la caleta - right now he has a motorbike and worksas motoconcho- but can't support a family of 5 kids with that money.. so I was thinking about seeign if he will sell the bike and I will put the difference to to get a truck so he can make more money- what do you think about the idea? Am I setting myself up for a fall? I don;t want to promise something I can;t deliver...thanks

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
This is becoming a bit silly now. Do you know how expensive cars/trucks are here? Buying the odd bit of food is one thing, even paying the rent I feel a little OTT but buying a car for them is silly. Sorry to be so blunt but you are right on track for claiming 'mug of the month' with suggestions like that. Albeit a lovely idea, not really a good one.

You will not be doing those kids any favours if they pick up the way to get things in life is befriend a gringo, work his heart strings and make him your puppet.

Sorry silly idea IMO.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Cars are like yachts elsewhere. Those who can't buy one, should not be expected to be able to maintain one.
I agree with DRNED... bad idea... you will be disappointed and soon feel forced to pay up for tickets, the car being impounded, new this - new that, and so forth, only to find out someday, the car has long been sold or trashed on a fun ride back from the Balcon Cervecero.

If you want to give them a future, sent their kids to school (buying everything they need yourself directly - not sending money for them to use it for other emergencies!). You may also try sending the father or mother to courses or even UAPA (college for adults) if they REALLY are into wanting to change something and DO something to it.

... J-D.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
amstellite, the only way this could work would be if you got the man organised as a taxi driver, tests passed, dues to join whichever local grouping paid, insurances, assessment made of amount of likely income etc etc. It would need to be VERY hands on by you. Then you work out a repayment scheme whereby he pays some of what you have put up, so that this is a vehicle he works for, not a gift. Have you got the time to make such a committment? Things like this are a LOT of work in order to be effective.

I think we're all very clear that you have a good heart & want to help. Find out what he could earn as a taxi driver, maybe you save the amount of the difference between that & his current earnings monthly for him. Take it slowly, incentives have to be built in to make this work. And if you're not living here pretty much fulltime, don't contemplate it.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Wow. It doesn't stop with this guy!!!

Look, they were living before you came along, and they'll continue after you leave. I know that it's hard to see how they live, but it's HOW THEY LIVE! And they do it. When you're not handing them money, they someone make it work. None of the kids were starving before you were in their life.

Buying someone a car is a hand out - not a hand up. You might think he'll make more with a taxi, but he'll probably just work less and bring in the same money - because not only did you buy the car but YOU ARE PAYING THE RENT. I mean, if you buy him a car, you should really stop paying part of their rent because the idea is that the car will bring in more money.

BUT. you're not going to listen. You said it in your last post. You like to see them happy. YOu don't care if you're being taken for the fool. So go ahead, buy the car. Let us know how it works out.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
What they all said.

But it's getting to the point where I wonder whether amstellite's posts are a wind-up.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
What kind of a life must his guy have in NYC to be such a mensch? It seems to me that Chiri might be right.
And I second all that was posted above.

HB

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
What they all said.

But it's getting to the point where I wonder whether amstellite's posts are a wind-up.

I dunno, it is a horrible thing to assume these days because someone has a good heart and is selfless, but as he has experience here, knows the score in Caleta (I mean to get by in Caleta you can't be stupid, it isn't tourist central), it is somewhat interesting to say the least where his mind is at and so I would't be surprised if it was a wind up.

I wish you luck, but please, have you tried finding a girl here, that for sure will redirect your mind. Or even start your own business and employ this family to work for you. Take on a calmado, nothing is more simple than that, especially if you have the support of a Dominican family. Make sure you understand what you are doing though, eyes open etc.