Yellowfin Tuna In Cabarete....at Janet's

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Does anyone have their number with an english speaking person I can speak with to make sure they stock these individually frozen delights on a constant basis.

I purchased all they had over the holidays.

I used to get these at Albertson's in the U. S. and when you blacken these and serve them with fresh horseradish...wow

Last edited:

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Does anyone have their number with an english speaking person I can speak with to make sure they stock these individually frozen delights on a constant basis.

I purchased all they had over the holidays.

I used to get these at Albertson's in the U. S. and when you blacken these and serve them with fresh horseradish...wow

Are these the one inch thick small slabs i see frozen and sold in Pola,,i think they may be ahi tuna.

How are you cooking (blacken?) i thought they were normally just seared and served raw in the middle, no?

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
They often have them at the former "Dollar Store" now "discount Supermarket" in Sosua by the entrance to El Choco. Yellowfin and Ahi sold at retail is the same...the major different tuna type is Albacore which is nothing like the red (Ahi/Yellowfin) tuna...it cooks up gray in color and tastes like the tuna you get in a can

You can get sesame seeds, both natural and black at Playero, along with prepared or powdered Wasabi.

Rub on a bit of Olive or Sesame oil, coat in sesame seeds, or cracked black pepper, and sear in a very hot pan for about 1 minute each side...serve with wasabi and soy sauce...total time for prep and cooking, less than 5 minutes! Ahi should always be served very rare inside, it completely changes texture and flavor when you overcook it.

A great side for this is what is locally sold as "Espinaca" (spinach) but is actually bok choy (Chinese Cabbage)...it's around 12 pesos a bunch, very easy to cook and very healthy. You can usually also find snow peas at playero or other markets...but not Janet's.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
They often have them at the former "Dollar Store" now "discount Supermarket" in Sosua by the entrance to El Choco. Yellowfin and Ahi sold at retail is the same...the major different tuna type is Albacore which is nothing like the red (Ahi/Yellowfin) tuna...it cooks up gray in color and tastes like the tuna you get in a can

You can get sesame seeds, both natural and black at Playero, along with prepared or powdered Wasabi.

Rub on a bit of Olive or Sesame oil, coat in sesame seeds, or cracked black pepper, and sear in a very hot pan for about 1 minute each side...serve with wasabi and soy sauce...total time for prep and cooking, less than 5 minutes! Ahi should always be served very rare inside, it completely changes texture and flavor when you overcook it.

A great side for this is what is locally sold as "Espinaca" (spinach) but is actually bok choy (Chinese Cabbage)...it's around 12 pesos a bunch, very easy to cook and very healthy. You can usually also find snow peas at playero or other markets...but not Janet's.

I have been attempted many times to but that frozed ahi tuna steaks and cook as you say above-BUT my concern as usual is it 5 yeras old? so far when i have made sushi--i have been seriously stung on buying frozen crab that was 100 yeras old and eel about the same--this stuff is pricey but always ends up in the garbage. Its really sad how expiry dates missing on alot of products and no regulation at all in the industry

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Are these the one inch thick small slabs i see frozen and sold in Pola,,i think they may be ahi tuna.

How are you cooking (blacken?) i thought they were normally just seared and served raw in the middle, no?

These are 1 " slabs that are pinkish red in color and are individually wrapped in airtight cryovac.

The blackening mix I order from amazon and I cook medium rare.

Just coat with the seasoning and heat butter and sear on both sides.

Amazon.com: blackened redfish seasoning

I just want to be able to buy more

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I have been attempted many times to but that frozed ahi tuna steaks and cook as you say above-BUT my concern as usual is it 5 yeras old? so far when i have made sushi--i have been seriously stung on buying frozen crab that was 100 yeras old and eel about the same--this stuff is pricey but always ends up in the garbage. Its really sad how expiry dates missing on alot of products and no regulation at all in the industry

I have bought dozens of individual tuna filets and have never gotten a bad one. I usually get them in Nacional in Santiago, but I've bought them a couple of times at Janet's and they were fine. If it's anything other than bright pink to dark red, don't buy it...also if there's any brownish liquid or slush inside the package don't but it, that probably means it has thawed and been re-frozen. In the open freezer bins like Janet's and Playero, I usually try to get them from the bottom if there is a stack of them. Make sure it is 100% frozen solid. The one's at the new supermarket in Sosua are in a regular glass door stand-up freezer...still try to grab them from the back...

Also, I always travel with a cooler in the car. In this climate the trip from the store home can be long enough to thaw the food to the point of no return. It's best to keep all frozen meat or fish as frozen as possible before cooking...once they've passed about 50% thawed, don't refreeze them...you won't get sick or anything but they can lose some flavor, texture and color...

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Good enough for sushi????

Are these tuna filets good enough for sushi or sashimi???

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Are these tuna filets good enough for sushi or sashimi???

Sushi lovers would not knowingly induldge in tuna that has been previously frozen and this is Yellow Fin not Blue Fin or Big Eye tuna which is the preferred tuna for sushi.