Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How can Haiti develop?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How can Haiti develop?

i spoke also with someone else with a lot of experience in PAP right now and they also confirmed its safe if you stay in the safe zones.

question for anyone: i'm interested in trying to understand better what specifically is working in Haiti to develop the country. Given this graph, most NGO investment is not working over the past 40+ years. Any suggestions on what I should look at that is really getting results?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

They need infrastructure and an aggressive attitude towards tourism and foreign investment. At least from tourism they can learn a lot from the DR. Foreigners are protected here even more than the locals are believe it or not.

They also need to finally convert from wood for cooking to propane - now is the time to do it.

If the Haitan gov't would offer incentives to foreigners to come buy large tracts of land for farming, this would be aplus. Does anybody know what the laws are concerning this?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Haitians are actually very docile people.. But when you add tragedy, devastation, and an inept leader people will naturally react. Haitians were already in misery before now they are in hell..

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the responses guys.

i'm interested in concrete successful programs in haiti that actually drive economic growth over a long period of time.

no problems if nobody knows of any, but if there is something i should take a look at i will be sure to.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    They need infrastructure and an aggressive attitude towards tourism and foreign investment. At least from tourism they can learn a lot from the DR. Foreigners are protected here even more than the locals are believe it or not.

They also need to finally convert from wood for cooking to propane - now is the time to do it.

If the Haitan gov't would offer incentives to foreigners to come buy large tracts of land for farming, this would be aplus. Does anybody know what the laws are concerning this?
    The land laws in Haiti are one of the things that has held agriculture back in Haiti for the last 2 centuries.
    Collingwood knows all about this.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pedrochemical View Post
    The land laws in Haiti are one of the things that has held agriculture back in Haiti for the last 2 centuries.
    Nice Peter, after telling me I suck on the other thread and otherwise hammering me and Christians in general you decide to be civil about this topic????

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pedrochemical View Post
    can you elaborate?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a real enigma, Chip.

PM Collingwood for the correct info. But basically trying to put a decent tract together is all but made impossible by laws invented to prevent large colonial powers enslaving the understandably sensitive population of 200 years ago, through economic means.
    Not sure of the details.
    Mountain Annie will know this stuff.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

got it. i found this to be an interesting piece on property rights in haiti:
    A solution in Haiti: Try Freedom

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I know one thing for sure first hand, they have little professionalism with regards to surveying. Without that, how can one be sure of the land they really owe? What investor in their right mind would want to come and build something if their not they can acquire clear title?

I base this on a survey of a property I received, signed by a professional. It had very serious problems to say the least. It was at a level of surveying that hasn't been used in the Western world in probably 300 years or more. I've seen plats/legal descriptions from the 1800's that were more accurate.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast