Mountain Biking AND Lodging In Santiago....

torreylee

Oct 24, 2009
www.mesothelioma-lawsuit-advice.com
Hi All,

I am soon moving to Santiago, I'd like to know about the availability of nice mountain bikes for sale in the DR... I read a few threads that said that bikes are not big in the DR for adults, but I'd really like to go biking for health benefits and to exercise my dog as well. Can I find a good bike out there.

Secondly, I'd like to find an inexpensive place of lodging(for maybe a week or two) until I find an apartment in Santiago, does anyone have any suggestions, some thing safe and UNDER $30 a night...

Thanks!:rambo:

Nov 25, 2008
Bikes are quite big here in Santiago, Bici Centro has the lastest models and they are not cheap, a friend of mine purchased on for about $2,300US, the bike shop conducts rally and tours all the time, normally on weekends their are groups of "bike people" who get together and travel to other towns on the pedal

as for $30.00 accommodation you will have to spend a bit more, but finding a room to rent in a house is easily done, a month should run about $200.00 a month

tell me when you arrive so I can hook you up with some friends who like to bike

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Like anything, nice bikes here are considered a luxury item and like all luxury items you will be expected to happily pay through the nose for it. After all, you will be in privileged company - like these 60 year old privones in tight Italian bike wear that have a bigger gut than my wife ever did at full term, hehe. Come to think of it, there ought to be a law against that. :)

You best bet by far will be to import one as I expect the prices to start out at almost three times what you would pay for in the States.

That being said you best bet is to bring one on you flight with you unassembled in the box from the factory. I'm sure it won't be overweight but probably will be oversize and as most airline companies only charge $50 to $75 you could literally save thousands of dollars.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Good advice from El Chippo....

As for where to stay at that price: Hotel Colonial.. Talk to Victor or his son, both English speaking and a nice place to park. 809 247 3122...So, that is taken care of.

As for biking? Yup, very much on the upsweep. My D-I-L does 75 kms a weekend...
But like Chip said, bring your own...

PM me for possible lodging.

HB

torreylee

Oct 24, 2009
Like anything, nice bikes here are considered a luxury item and like all luxury items you will be expected to happily pay through the nose for it. After all, you will be in privileged company - like these 60 year old privones in tight Italian bike wear that have a bigger gut than my wife ever did at full term, hehe. Come to think of it, there ought to be a law against that. :)

You best bet by far will be to import one as I expect the prices to start out at almost three times what you would pay for in the States.

That being said you best bet is to bring one on you flight with you unassembled in the box from the factory. I'm sure it won't be overweight but probably will be oversize and as most airline companies only charge $50 to $75 you could literally save thousands of dollars.

Thank you so much Chip! That is EXACTLY the type of advice that I need. I will get on that right now, the move IS SO CLOSE and now I am dealing with the real life changes and adjusments I need to make. I just bought my first laptop today, because of the realization that my PC wasnt worth bringing with me....

Hillbilly, I too thank you for your help, I will be PM'ing you soon. Thanks a million!

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
there's a cycling association in cibao (the ASOCISA) that, i think, it based in El Dorado I, I see their bus and signs every morning on our jog.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Ok all Chip and other poster said is true bike are very expensive in DR but you can find a good deal if you buy a used. there is (JUNKER) used parts for cars imported from Japan & USA where I bought a nice Trek mountain bike, aluminum frame & all Chimano parts only paid 20% of what a new one same quality will cost me at Bicicentro or at Aro y Pedal.

torreylee

Oct 24, 2009
Ok all Chip and other poster said is true bike are very expensive in DR but you can find a good deal if you buy a used. there is (JUNKER) used parts for cars imported from Japan & USA where I bought a nice Trek mountain bike, aluminum frame & all Chimano parts only paid 20% of what a new one same quality will cost me at Bicicentro or at Aro y Pedal.

Bachata, do you feel like the deal (quality mountain bike at good price) you found is a common find or a rare one? I certainly don't mind buying a used bike, I just don't want to get over there and not be able to find anything ya know?

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
I'm not 100 % sure that you'll find a good deal at this time as I have been out of DR almost two years now, if really need a bike and you are in the US better take it with you.
I bought a "Mongoose" model iboc zero g zx in very good shape on craigslist only paid US $ 40. Here in Raleigh.

JJ

Mocamike

Nov 18, 2006
Biking is big in Santiago.

Torreylee,
Both road and mountain biking is very big here. Great groups of people of all levels and very open to newcomers. You can find nice bikes that are used once you start talking to people at bike shops and just getting to know fellow bikers. Here is one advertisement that has a mountain bike:
VENDO BICICLETA MTB GT CARBON FIBER, SANTIAGO!!

just to give you an idea.

By the way, bicycles are imported tax free, no matter what the bike. Just brought in another Trek Madone (5k usd bike) and no hassle with customs. Welcome !!

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
They will have to review the rate from STI to Jarabacoa, it shouldn't be the same as STI / POP. Jarabacoa is only 40 minutes away from STI and POP is one hour and half.

JJ