Claro Prepaid sim card

donnib

Feb 5, 2010
Hi,
Hope that someone can help me out. I will be travelling to DR for 8 days (vacation) and i need to keep in touch with people on the net so i need data access. The resort ("Gran Bahia Principe Bavaro") charges 15 USD/day which i think is to much.

I would like to get a Claro/Orange SIM prepaid where i can use data as well.

Anyone know the price of such SIM and what data costs ? I tried translating the Claro webpage to read more about the prepaid SIM and i can see there is something called DataPlan Claro PrePaid but i don't quite understand if it requires something or what the details are.

I am entering DR at Punta Cana airport. Can i get a SIM card in the airport or at the resort ?

thanks in advance
donnib

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Sim card is like $4. I got that and a phone for about $19. Then you just get calling cards from the place to charge up the minutes

donnib

Feb 5, 2010
thanx for your reply

But what about data ? Data is for me the most important because i don't actually need minutes. I use mail, chat and other stuff so minutes for me are not important.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
you ll have to go to a codetel/claro authorized store and ask them about data. I m guessing that you ll be using your own phone?

donnib

Feb 5, 2010
Yes i am going to be using my own phone which is ofcourse unlocked. I was just hoping that i could clarify this before i got there. I tried to find an email to Claro so i could write them but they seem to only have phone support. :(

Jan 22, 2010
Claro, a joke

if it is for data...15$ will be cheaper then working with Claro prepaid cards.
And about answering their mails...I have a complaint going on for months with that company. They don't care about their HORRIBLE customer support

;)

T.E.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Bring a WIFI enabled phone/netbook and find a hotspot, even if you pay for a soda and use an internet cafe, it will be a fraction of the cost and less of a headache getting the SIM activated.

I am sure you can find a FREE hotspot somewhere in Bavaro, if the $15 is going going to break the bank.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
in playa dorada you can go to Hemingway CAFE , they have free wifi for their customers. In the day time, buy a bottle of water or a coffee and they will let you connect to their wifi all day. I have done it and it works just fine. You can walk to this place from your hotel.
AZB

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
in playa dorada you can go to Hemingway CAFE , they have free wifi for their customers. In the day time, buy a bottle of water or a coffee and they will let you connect to their wifi all day. I have done it and it works just fine. You can walk to this place from your hotel.
AZB

That might be a bit of a walk from Bavaro!

donnib

Feb 5, 2010
if it is for data...15$ will be cheaper then working with Claro prepaid cards.
And about answering their mails...I have a complaint going on for months with that company. They don't care about their HORRIBLE customer support

;)

T.E.

Well not quite. If i need to check mail every day then i need to pay 8 x 15USD = 120 USD which is enormous. If i could get a prepaid card with data let's say 100 MB limit then that would be sufficient for 8 days.

donnib

Feb 5, 2010
Bring a WIFI enabled phone/netbook and find a hotspot, even if you pay for a soda and use an internet cafe, it will be a fraction of the cost and less of a headache getting the SIM activated.

I am sure you can find a FREE hotspot somewhere in Bavaro, if the $15 is going going to break the bank.

My phone does indeed have wifi but the problem is that they only have WiFi in the resort that costs 15USD/per day. I have not heard of any other places where it's cheaper within the resort itself.

Feb 7, 2007
There is a new prepaid high-speed Internet service by Orange.

Called Orange Net 3G+. It has several plans, one of them is pay-by-day (plan por dia -24 hours).
The price is RD$150 + taxes (28%) per day, limit 1 GB of data transfer per 24 hours.
Orange Dominicana - Orange net 3G+

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Phone prices

Sim card is like $4. I got that and a phone for about $19. Then you just get calling cards from the place to charge up the minutes

Does $19 get you a good quality phone? I brought my phone down with me and used it to call home from DR but when I tried to send texts or make local calls in DR no such luck. I think I needed to purchase one of their sim cards to access the local network.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Does $19 get you a good quality phone? I brought my phone down with me and used it to call home from DR but when I tried to send texts or make local calls in DR no such luck. I think I needed to purchase one of their sim cards to access the local network.

RD300 gets you a "working" Alcatel phone including RD100 credit.
RD1000 gets you a decent looking but basic camera phone, you see where this is going?

A foreign phone might roam but will cost you an arm and a leg, get a cheapee local cell. Please search the forum for cell phone threads, there is tons of up to date info here, besides Sanky nonsense!

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Where in playa dorada is Hemingways?

AZB

Just curious, where in Playa Dorada is Hemingways? I've seen their logos on stuff whene I was down there but never went.... Is it anywhere close to the Plaza?

wuarhat

I am a out of touch hippie.
Nov 13, 2006
My phone does indeed have wifi but the problem is that they only have WiFi in the resort that costs 15USD/per day. I have not heard of any other places where it's cheaper within the resort itself.

I think what he is trying to tell you is to get out of the resort and find a place that has free wi-fi, or find an internet center that will charge about a buck an hour for connection time.