Re: Advice - from the Archive

C

CES

Re: Advice - from the Archive

I must comment that, so far the responses to this thread are "most excellent" (lol, "Wany's World" for
those of you familiar with the movie and TV version ala SNL :).

Recently the subject of beach/ resort nudity was the subject of this rather cumbersome and some times
off subject thread:

~ Topless sunbathing~

Bob McKenzie -- Thursday, 7 December 2000, at 6:30 p.m.

Here are two of the "on topic" messages and one of mine:

~ DR1 2000 Archive ~

Re: Topless sunbathing

Posted By: Sue B.
Date: Saturday, 9 December 2000

In Response To: Re: Topless sunbathing (Bob McKenzie)

Speaking as a Canadian (merely for frame of reference) and the mother of 2 teenage boys, I can relate to
the mother that made the original comment. As Canadians (and I'm generalizing) we have more in
common with the somewhat modest Dominicans, than with the Europeans to whom nudity is both natural
and comfortable. To say that I would be shocked and horrified would be overstating the issue, I suspect
this was just a poor word choice. I would be out of my personal comfort zone on a topless beach with my
kids around. The boys would think they had died and gone to teenage boy heaven, I suppose that speaks
more to their age than how they have been raised. I guess if you're raised in an atmosphere where people
are comfortable with nudity, then you are too and thats normal for you. If I'm raised in an atmosphere
where people are not comfortable with nudity then it stands to reason that I might not be either. It doesn't
make either of us bad people it just makes us different and thats what makes the world spin.

~ DR1 2000 Archive ~

Re: Topless sunbathing

Posted By: WBDominicana
Date: Thursday, 7 December 2000

In Response To: Topless sunbathing (Bob McKenzie)

Bob...remember the old axiom "when in Rome," etc?? Respectable (and less-than respectable)
Dominican females do not go topless; in fact, young girls there frequently wear a t-shirt OVER a swimsuit
when on the beach. Cannot we, as thoughtful and respectful visitors, honor this tradition? There are
ample opportunities when on private vessels, deserted beaches, or ones own sundeck to shed the shirt if
that is a woman's wish. Let's not even GO near the fact that nearly all topless sunbathing is done for the
express purpose of garnering the male reaction, and not for a woman's own gratification. (Read:
sunburned nipples ...ouch!) if you and yours (or me and mine) are comfortable with upper-body nudity, go
for it! But please don't try to change an old, established custom for the week or two that you visit.
IMHO
Regards,
WBD

~ DR1 2000 Archive ~

Re: Topless sunbathing (WBDominicana:)

Posted By: CES
Date: Monday, 25 December 2000

In Response To: Re: Topless sunbathing (WBDominicana)

>>> "Respectable (and less-than respectable) Dominican females do not go topless; in fact, young girls
there frequently wear a t-shirt OVER a swimsuit when on the beach. . ." <<<

Estimada WBDominicana,

Ms. Dominicana, your response is exactly as what I would expect from a proper Dominican lady of good
upbringing. Nudity on public beaches (not resort controlled areas) in the context of a "Dominican family"
outing just isn't proper, period. As you've stated "when in Roma" particularly applies when children or
grandparents are present. On the beach areas directly controlled by a resort an entirely different situation
occurs, the attendance of large numbers of Europeans and Canadians. What to do? The resort is in
business to make money and the preponderance of guests are non Dominican. How can the resort
reasonably require the offending guests (nude) to cover up? The all mighty dollar\ peso rules in this case,
much to my consternation. Lest any of the good readers here think that I'm just an old prude, let me
assure you that I can be just as much the "leach" as need be, in my own mind. I guess one answer
would to post the beach with a warning, something about the presence of topless sun loving 'uro dollars'
and 'loonies' (be spent:).

Regards,

. . . CES

----------------------------------------------- + { :) } + -----------------------

Regards,

. . . CES

Click on > > >

"Topless Thread"