Flying DR to Chile

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Anyone with suggestions on going from the DR to Chile with POP, then Santiago and then Santo Domingo as the airport order preferred. I am not seeing anything less than about $1,400 US. Do they ever have specials? I have not been able to find one.

Feb 7, 2007
Santiago - Panama - Chile with COPA.
Santo Domingo - Panama - Chile with COPA
Santo Domingo - Lima - Chile with TACA
Santo Domingo - Bogota - Chile with AVIANCA
Punta Cana - Chile direct with LAN (may be worth the extra drive)

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
2 people, least expensive time to fly.

I would like to go at the least expensive time to travel. I would expect this to be Chile's winter, which is our summer and for 2 people.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Santiago - Panama - Chile with COPA.
Santo Domingo - Panama - Chile with COPA
Santo Domingo - Lima - Chile with TACA
Santo Domingo - Bogota - Chile with AVIANCA
Punta Cana - Chile direct with LAN (may be worth the extra drive)

I am frugal, but 16 hours of driving from Cabarete and back to Punta Cana makes me think the drive isn't worth it unless the flight is free. Thank you, however, for the suggestions.

It may be better to tie this in with a trip to Florida and do a round trip from Miami.

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
Checking on COPA tonight, 2 people leaving Santiago (STI) on 04 May 2010 to Santiago, Chile (SCL) and returning 20 May 2010, total fare including taxes and fees of $923 P/P = US$1846 total for 2.

Funny, but Orbitz returned a fare using COPA of $1004 per person for the same dates.

Fares are the same right now for June dates.

On COPA, it's usually easier to find cheaper fares for Tuesdays thru Thursdays. They seem to have lots of business on Mondays and Fridays to Panama City.

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
(too late to edit my previous post)

Copa's planes beat AA hands down, both in age of the aircraft and cleanliness. The Panama City airport may also be one of the nicest airports I have ever flown through. Modern, spotlessly clean, lots of duty free shopping choices - only drawback to me was a limited choice of places to eat in their airport.

Also, you have the option of flying through Panama as in-transit status, which means no immigration or Customs for Panama, and (knock on wood) the luggage always has made it to the next Copa flight with no problems, even with connection times of less than 1 hour. (try doing that in Miami !)

You can normally also get the same ticket prices if you choose to layover in Panama for a day or two of shopping or sightseeing, if you use the Multi-City approach for flight dates.

Just for schitts and giggles, I also tried MIA - Panama - Santiago Chile and the price was US$1957 for 2 people including taxes and fees on Copa for the same dates.

Last edited:

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks guys for checking on the various flights. It seems that about $1,000 US per round trip is the going rate for a best deal to Chile.

I have some friends that just relocated and retired there and they are loving it. They looked at the DR, but the climate was not suitable for the wife. Where they will be in Chile is more like the Mediterranean climate found in California which also is my personal favorite.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I just checked Santiago DR to Santiago Chile in May using Kayak and found prices of $924 round trip.