carnival- where to go?

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
I'll be in the DR Feb 26 , 27 ,28 and March 1,2.
I know there is a tremendous carnival in Santo Domingo the Sunday, but is anything else happening that weekend elsewhere in the DR..? I heard maybe La Vega? And does anyone know the current schedule of stars playing there at that time - bachata stars... ?

tcast305

Jul 17, 2009
Actually the best carnival is Sunday (Feb 28) in La Vega. I've been there for the final Sunday and its always awesome.

Thanks.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Actually the best carnival is Sunday (Feb 28) in La Vega. I've been there for the final Sunday and its always awesome.

Thanks.
I'll be in the DR Feb 26 , 27 ,28 and March 1,2.
I know there is a tremendous carnival in Santo Domingo the Sunday, but is anything else happening that weekend elsewhere in the DR..? I heard maybe La Vega? And does anyone know the current schedule of stars playing there at that time - bachata stars... ?
I may be wrong but I believe the carnaval in Santo Domingo is the first Sunday in March which would be the 7th. The weekend you will be in Santo Domingo is the military parade which is far less enjoyable than the carnaval.

As far as bachata stars performing you have to look for the small billboards posted on trees and lamp posts.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Head to La Vega on Sunday, be ready for a lot of sun, and walking, but you will have the best time in your life.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
I've never been to a Dominican carnival, but I've heard stories that you could get hit with a stick if you are near the front.

Is this true?

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
La vega feb

I guess it has been decided for me, I arrive too late for the carnical which starts the Friday and ends Saturday Feb 27... ah well I guess there's always Semana Santa.. but thanks for everyone's help- now if only Antony Santos or Yoskar sarante were playing that weekend that wold make up for the loss of the carneval... cheers Mike

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
The La Vega Carnival celebration takes place every Sunday in February. There is no party Friday or Saturday. The last Sunday in Feb. (The 28th) will be the biggest celebration in La Vega.

If you do go, go early (around noon) and walk the parade route to get a feel of the size of the party and scope out a good viewing spot, then find an area off the sidewalk and preferably close to the end of the main street (in the direction where you parked), to watch the parade.

It's best to leave before sunset as the traffic trying to get out is horrendous after the parade ends, and it's the time that fights and other bad situations are more likely to occur.

beeza - bystanders don't get hit with sticks, they get hit with "vejigas" which used to be pig bladders tied to the end of a whip, now they are usually either soft or hard rubber balls on the end of a rope. If you are in the middle of the crowd you WILL get hit once, twice...or dozens of times..and they can REALLY hurt...

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
La Vega or retreat to the safety of your home.
Everything in between is just exposing one to rewardless risks of being annoyed, bored, loosing your hearing, or being assaulted/mugged or otherwise hurt in a brawl of drunk idiot tigueres.

The problem with La Vega is that "everybody" from all over the country goes there and there are virtually no hotels. Next stop, Santiago or Jarabacoa.

... J-D