English learning software for kids

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Hi,

Anybody here on the forum that can recommend a english learning software for kids (my kid is 6 years old). It needs to be a program, no online course. Preferably like a game. Learning while having fun... He is very good with computers.

I have tried ABC for kids, but the speech is very bad.

Info is very much appreciated.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
Do you live with your kid? the best way to learn is through life, not a course. Just talk to him in English all the time. And supplement with programs like Starfall.com (it's a reading program but helps a lot of ELL kids (english language learners) and PBS kids online also has a program.

Your child is young enough that with some regular english programs geared toward english speakers (try pre-school level games with Dora the Explorer, Backyardigans, etc...)

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Do you live with your kid? the best way to learn is through life, not a course. Just talk to him in English all the time. And supplement with programs like Starfall.com (it's a reading program but helps a lot of ELL kids (english language learners) and PBS kids online also has a program.

Your child is young enough that with some regular english programs geared toward english speakers (try pre-school level games with Dora the Explorer, Backyardigans, etc...)

95 % of the time I don?t. All the programs you mention are online programs no?

Spec Ed Teacher

Apr 21, 2009
"Tell me More kids - ingles"

If you type that in you will get a website for them. It is a software designed to teach english to native spanish speakers age 4-7.

samanasuenos

Bronze
Oct 5, 2005
Caillou CD/DVD $9.99 at Target in USA

Hi!

We bought a DVD of a character called CAILLOU, and you can learn English, Spanish and French - with games on the software that you download to your computer and play from there.

Or maybe a Leapfrog Junior wand and book? google LEAPFROG.

PS
I teach ESL to adults.

Good luck and keep us posted on your successes.

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
Hi!

We bought a DVD of a character called CAILLOU, and you can learn English, Spanish and French - with games on the software that you download to your computer and play from there.

Or maybe a Leapfrog Junior wand and book? google LEAPFROG.

PS
I teach ESL to adults.

Good luck and keep us posted on your successes.

Finding Caillou stuff is hard now... my 2 year old is obsessed with that damn cartoon.

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
you can find a ton of caillou stuff if you look for him in french. i think he's originally a canadian character. i don't let my kids watch him, he annoys me too much - but my niece is obsessed and we've got her a few games that are originally in french (but have an english option)

DR Mpe

Banned
Mar 31, 2003
Thank u for all input!!

I will update u on progress, and keep it coming if u have more ideas... :)

sandie87

Oct 18, 2011
You can also try, Reading Detective Beginning. It is an educational program that actually tackles the challenge of teaching reading comprehension. The program content is perfectly appropriate for homeschooling use. It's another fun and informative game for our little ones.​