New here..

LokoExtraordinaire

Feb 7, 2010
I just wanted to say hello to all and introduce myself. I am born of Dominican blood (Both parents) however I am visiting DR (Staying in Santiago) for the first time since I was 9 years old. Since this is my first time visiting as an adult I am absolutely ecstatic! I'm looking to travel to as many cities as possible in the 10 days or so I will be there. Capital, Punta Cana, Puerto Plata specifically..don't know how possible this will be.

Also, I am 6'0 218lbs (physically fit) and one of the few very light skinned, dark haired Dominicans. I was always told trujillo would have loved me. :p

lajoa711

Jan 17, 2007
I'm curious - why would we need to know your physical attributes to give you travel advice?

Anyways - I am too born of Dominican parents and although I've been there as an adult I haven't been in almost 8yrs since my last trip. The country changes so rapidly that I'm sure I'll feel like it's my first time all over again. And I'm traveling with my husband who hardly speaks Spanish and it is his 1st time going to DR (He's Puerto Rican but I think he's nervous based on crappy stereotype rumors he hears about DR). We are heading out in 3 days for a 15-day vacation. I plan to go to Santo Dominigo (Capital), San Pedro de Macoris, Santiago & Samana. I visit each of those place every time I go due to the family factor ... which is what is driving me to these destinations to begin with but each of those has it's touristic features to enjoy and by God I hope to enjoy!

So can you do it in 10 days? Sure! That is if you don't have to give up too much of your time visiting family (like me). I'm already trying to prepare for the complaints of only visiting folks 1-2 times. Oh and the jealousy if I spend more days in one place than another - Agh!
I've read on this forum & other places that there is a new highway going to/from the Capital - Samana .... so I'm happy about that as that will shave a good 3hrs off the original bus route - if I catch the right bus taking the new route.

Punta Cana was originally in my plans but the way I was planning to go there is if I flew in OR out of Punta Cana airport. I'm flying from Germany so I wanted to fly into SDQ & out of PUJ or vice versa. Some minor setbacks didn't allow that and now I'm flying in & out of SDQ and I've cut out Punta Cana entirely from my itinerary.
Perhaps you can plan it that way .... fly into STI and out of Punta Cana or vice versa.
The reason I recommend this is because Punta Cana is a ways out there & if you do it on your way in or out then at least you don't have to worry about traveling round-trip from that side of the island which will eat in to your 10-day trip.