Berry, what, berry , what , berry

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
This is a strange one- not even sure if it belongs here but I was in a Dominican club in NY over the weekend and I heard a great pumping tune, not bachata, not merengue not salsa, but hard core, maybe hip hop DR style? All I could make out was " what , Berry, what , that Berry, what , that Berry, so very berry, " or something like that- it could have been in Spanish , because it makes no sense in English, but that;s how it sounded. I loved the track but could not find out from anyone who sings it... I know it's a slim chance from what I have given , but any ideas? It might not even be a Dominican song...

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Every time I heard a great tune in a club and didn't know who the performer was I'd ask the DJ;)
This is a strange one- not even sure if it belongs here but I was in a Dominican club in NY over the weekend and I heard a great pumping tune, not bachata, not merengue not salsa, but hard core, maybe hip hop DR style? All I could make out was " what , Berry, what , that Berry, what , that Berry, so very berry, " or something like that- it could have been in Spanish , because it makes no sense in English, but that;s how it sounded. I loved the track but could not find out from anyone who sings it... I know it's a slim chance from what I have given , but any ideas? It might not even be a Dominican song...

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
I can't identify the song or artist for you, but from your description, the genre was likely reggaeton. It's a latin hip-hop variation with Puerto Rican roots. I'm not a fan myself, but among a lot of young Dominicans it is now more popular than merengue of bachata.

Reactions: mike l

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i managed to see the video but i had to shut down the sound...
those townhouses in the background, wide asphalted streets - was that shot in america?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
dv8,

Yes. Washington Heights, Manhattan to be exact.

My little sister drove me nuts with this song. It was like no escaping it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
horror and devastation.
i do not require much from my music but this is horribly horrible.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
horror and devastation.
i do not require much from my music but this is horribly horrible.

That is exactly what my Grandma said of the Beatles and the Stones.
Decades later she actually likes 'Here Comes The Sun' and 'Back of My Hand'
I never did manage to convince her about George Clinton but I am still working on it....

I like it. My 10 month old baby loves it.
It is of the moment and rocks - the beats are waaaay funky.
For me it makes an excellent change from all the macho crap that tends to be reggaeton.

If it didn't upset the grown-ups it would not be doing its job.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
That is exactly what my Grandma said of the Beatles and the Stones.
i have not been compared to anyone's grandmother before :)
i gotta say i go for lyrics rather than actual music and this song is slightly lacking in the words department ;)

?

? bient?t

I can't identify the song or artist for you, but from your description, the genre was likely reggaeton. It's a latin hip-hop variation with Puerto Rican roots. I'm not a fan myself, but among a lot of young Dominicans it is now more popular than merengue of bachata.

It may have been called Reggaeton in PR, but it originated in Panama.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
dv8,

Yes. Washington Heights, Manhattan to be exact.

My little sister drove me nuts with this song. It was like no escaping it.

Maybe some of the interior shots are Washington Heights, but the outdoor shots look more like NJ (Jersey City etc.) or the outer boroughs, like Queens maybe? Wash Heights doesn't have too many of the townhomes with garage slots out front. And the do?as I lived near in Wash Heights would have slapped some sense into those kids if they caught them doing that stuff!!!

The first time I heard it I thought it was funny, reminded me of all the "English" people have tried speaking to me over the years. After the 3rd time, it got really old.

M.A.R.

Silver
Feb 18, 2006
In the DR it was played til nauseum........here is the states not much...only on local radio station........so is not as bad.

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
thanks to all who answered, I can now sleep at night... I am 50, and not one much for clubland these days- so when I heard this thumping out in the club- I thought wow.. I LOVE IT.... well I do now, but maybe next week, after listening to it a million tims ad nauseum on my iPOD I'll probably think differently- but for now Thanks you for putting me out of my misery ( Chrimaya and M A R) - and all who helped... I love this site.. DR1 rules- you can get answers to EVERYTHING, EVEN WITH NO INFO... COOL... THANKS