HGTV in DR

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Last night we caught an episode of House Hunting on HGTV cable channel. A couple who live about 10 miles from us here in NJ were looking for a vacation home in the Dominican Republic, and were working with a German-born realtor in the {I think} Sosua area. Program highlighted three of the places she showed them - a house for $210,000, a house for $160,000, and a beachfront condo for $195,000. All three were totally furnished and had pools - none appeared to have a/c though. That surprised me, because I expected to see split systems at least in the bedrooms. They bought the condo for themselves, and the $160,000 house [pretty sure that one was in Perla Marina] as an investment to rent out.

I thought it was a positive image for DR, showed lovely beaches, etc. Worth a watch if you get that channel.

AE

Abuela

Bronze
May 13, 2006
Their properties are so close to the sea no a/c is needed. Natures breezes sure save on the Edennorte bill!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Their properties are so close to the sea no a/c is needed. Natures breezes sure save on the Edennorte bill!

I know that's true here too, I live on a barrier island very close to the ocean in NJ and we rarely turn the a/c on.

But in DR everyone that I know lives in Santo Domingo, and everyone has a/c in their bedrooms. I've stayed in some of those homes, and believe me, we need it at night. One is just off the malecon. Maybe the south coast is just warmer???

The place we rented last month was right on the malecon, no a/c and we really didn't need it - but it was late dec through late Jan. Bet we'd be hot any other time!

AE

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
We were on HGTV House Hunters International

Our Las Terrenas villa (2 BR with private swimming pool,300 steps from the beach) was taped for an episode of HGTV House Hunters International in August 2008 and the episode has aired 3 times already in the US-
It was a GREAT experience and only happened because our DRParadise realtor, Dan Hussmann suggested us to the producer- We made a short "audition tape" and it was really exciting to be selected-- They sent a 3 person crew to tape us in our house in Kentucky and then the crew spent 5 days in Las Terrenas- We actually bought our villa with the intention of renting it out to guests; but they didn't let us mention those plans on the show! Our villa rents for $750/week and we are booked ALOT; although I don't think being on House Hunters International has resulted in any new guests!

Kevin&Julie

Apr 23, 2008
Does anyone know where that condo was located (the one they bought)? City/town or even as specific as which complex?
Also it showed some general shots of the beach & some bars/restaurants on the beach, anyone know where that was?
We are looking for somewhere to go in May and we love dinners on the beach :)