Copy brands around DR

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
I have recently bought some branded clothes. I paid around the same price I would in Europe so not cheap. After wearing them for a short time it had become obvious to me that they are not genuine. Since noticing this I have looked into various different items in shops and found them to be non genuine also, it really is quite obvious on some things if you look close enough.
How can they get away with selling such things in big stores, plaza lama, plaza central and so on. Last time I checked this was illegal.

May 29, 2006
This happens all the time in the US as well. The hard part is getting tags that look real or buying stolen ones. It's illegal but store keepers buy from vendors and they often look at price first and last. They also sell factory seconds as premium goods. These are normally called "knock-offs" if they look similar to the original but don't have the tags or brand on them, but there are plenty of phony goods out there too. It's a multi-billion industry in the US:

counterfeit brands | knock-offs | knockoffs | fake poducts | fakes | brandchannel.com

I saw some show that some people will spend $5000 or more to make a "fake" Rolex watch.

The next thing you know, they'll be selling counterfeit Cuban cigars on the beach...

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
The next thing you know, they'll be selling counterfeit Cuban cigars on the beach...

you mean the ones i got were real !!!?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
could you give some examples of what you found. I havent seen many european brand clothes around

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I buy a lot of counterfeit clothes in the DR. But knowing it and paying the subsequent lower prices for them. When I feel I want a legit Lacoste polo, pay full price for it and get scammed with a counterfeited one I would have been pretty upset too. Some of those stores are franchises if they are in a mall (Plaza Central, Acropolis, Bella Vista). Write their names down and contact the main company and make them aware of what's happening. If not just try to get a talk with the store manager and state your worries, make him proove you that those clothes are real, if he can't try to talk with the highest level executive or owner of that store ( I don't know if you want all of that hassle) and tell them what's going on. That's not acceptable.

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
It seems quite alot of hassle and the chances of me getting a refund or swap for the real deal are quite slim no?
I think we al know counterfeit exists, some even seem happy on buying it, but when I pay full price I expect what I'm paying for.

The brands I have bought and found to be fake are Converse, adidas, Lacoste and a few other lesser known brands, but still expensive stuff, yet not what it says on the tag.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
you may be surprised by their reaction - if no one tries , no-one will know. They may even be unaware that their suppliers are giving them fake or inferior products.

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
You are right, we could all sit around expecting some change yet no one pointing out the problems.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
How do you know they are fake? I once compared a Lacoste polo bought on the street for $25 to one bought at Macys for $75 and they looked the same to me. Till this day I have not been able to solve that in my head.

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
How do you know they are fake? I once compared a Lacoste polo bought on the street for $25 to one bought at Macys for $75 and they looked the same to me. Till this day I have not been able to solve that in my head.

It really is quite simple when you know the product well and it has been washed/worn a few times. Painted rubber on Converse flipflops, letters falling off Adidas Trainers, discoloration in a very short time, material stiffening after a few washes, etc etc.
Really is no need for sherlock on this one.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
errm welllll that happens to things I brought from home too- the climate isnt right for European glue apparently so things tend to fall apart here- you need a special tropical glue for the humidity- especially for shoes

DRNED

Oct 28, 2009
errm welllll that happens to things I brought from home too- the climate isnt right for European glue apparently so things tend to fall apart here- you need a special tropical glue for the humidity- especially for shoes

What are you on about?? Tropical glue, lol.:cheeky:

If you buy quality goods then they shouldn't fall apart, if they do they are not the real deal. The painted rubber etc is nothing to do with heat, glue or where they are made, it is quite simply not the real deal, easy to see if you are used to quality.
Obviously I don't inspect everything with a microscope before buying, but maybe I should start.

Tropical glue, LOL!!

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
maybe we just need clogs , but the termites might eat them lol. Also there is a black beetle that chews rubber so you cant win whatever you buy.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
"Tropical glue. LOL!!" sounds funny, but, try use glue you buy here in a place like Ft. McMurray, AB. Canada.....yes, glue is manufactured to different environmental conditions, sounds weird to some, but still, true.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
well that and keep cleaning those white tennis shoes with the cloro and liquid soap and see how long they last I don't care who made them.

That and the crap liquid shoe polish.

That an the clothes, most have maids who do the washing, watch them sometime an see what some of those poor clothes go through.

Don't know about the tropical glue but the cloro will eat the shoes in about 20 washings. less if the maid wants them really clean an lets them soak.