Toilet Seats in DR

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
porcelain is easier to clean than plastic with funny ridges so I can see the logic, wee is also stronger here due to dehydration lol

May 29, 2006
In many places of the world they use "no contact toilets". They are basically a porcelein trench with a shield on one end and you squat over them. They definitely take some getting used to but for a public toilet, they are a lot cleaner. They are mounted into the floor like this:

japanese_toilet.jpg

I had seen them in Japan, but I was surprised to see they were being used in the former Soviet Union as well in places like train stations.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
the one above is high class. in former soviet unions you are more likely to see this:
2efl28p.jpg

those toilets are also popular in arabic countries:
2w552eq.jpg

May 29, 2006
The ones I saw in Estonia were a bit better than an open hole in the ground. The one you show is still better than some I've seen in the DR. It is a pretty scary thing when the plywood covering the cess pit is rotting...

Mar 1, 2009
They have those squatty one's in Italian train stations too I think, I remember I kept asking where the "other" toilets were. I finally relented after an hour of looking. Ugh...

JessicaRabbit

Sep 21, 2009
Im actually very surprised how clean dominican public toilets are! Compared to prev. Soviet Union ones. You just cant find a spot on the floor to put ur foot on to not step in sh*t or wet. I talk abt toilets on buss stations etc. Even at discos, very very messy :(
So another good thing about dominican :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
everyone coming from ex communist block feels nostalgic in DR :)
one thing missing, however, is fear of authorities...