Whales and driving

Z

Zoro

HI how about 2 unrelated questions,
we are five guys on a week long road trip, leaving S.D. in a rent-a-car, keen to dive, see whales, meet the locals, party some, and speak our really bad spanish. I posted a message below in regard to driving- twice now, I've been given the advice NOT to stop if the police wave us over???
-OK- I have been all around the world, i have never had problems with police, anywhere, why? Becouse i do EXACTLY what they tell me to do!!!
to "speed up and go past them" goes aganist very thing i have learned about staying OUT of trouble, a hard habit to break after 20 years of travel- will someone straighten me out here? look, a macho attitude like that will get you in a shit load of trouble, big time, in other parts of the world- like asia, or USSR, etc. You do what you are told- I don't get this at all, sorry about going on and on-
-2 Would love any whale info anyone could pass along, including any web sites on whales in general, i want to learn more before i go- any recomended guides, dive masters, towns to stay in, etc. would be great- ,thanks, again! zoro

A

Andy

You've been given good advice regarding the police. Follow it. Regarding more info about the whales, check out the Samana.Net link below. Have fun.

R

Ronald Heyne

You better stop!

Zoro,

the tip not to stop has been OK until two years ago. At that time police stoped drivers to collect money, they would not make you problems, you just gave them 10 or 20 peso and thats it. These policemen would not go after you if you don't stop.

Today the situation is different. This kind of making money has been eliminated by the new police chief. So if today the police is asking you to stop it is for another reason and I would strongly recommend you to stop! If they are investigating on any crime and you don't stop they might chase you and dominican police often makes fatal use of their firearms.

Ronald

W

williamleslie

Re: You better stop!

I agree with Ronald. I drive every day those roads for over 15 years and the police no longer stop you for tips on main roads.
I used to also drive on by..I would no longer recommend that practise.
If stopped just be courteous, friendly and do not offer money unless you are in legitimate trouble for some reason. Try confirming directions or something right away to the place you actually are heading to..In many cases they will just say that you are on the right road and to continue on...they have seen that you are not the persons or type of persons they are looking for and will wish you goodbye.

K

Ken

Re: Whale Information

The whales that come to Dominican Republic in the winter are humpbacks. The place to see them is Samana, anytime between now and mid-March. The peak of the season is mid-February, but there are always so many whales in the bay during the season that chances of seeing them are excellent. There are a lot of boats offering excursions and cost is about same. One important thing to clarify is how long you will be out. Some of the boats come back to shore as soon as you have seen a whale. Others stay out longer, increasing the opportunity to see and learn. As a general rule, the big boats stay out in the whale area the longest; the small yolas the least amount of time. The latter are anxious to get back and pick up next load.

To learn about whales before you go, see <http://whale/wheelock.edu>, this is the Home Page for the Whale Net. Also see <http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet_index.html> for an index of information about whales, dolphins, etc.

Another good source of info is my book "Whales of Samana", which is available in English, German, French, and Spanish. Many of the tour companies distribute to their clients on the whale excursions. It is also available for purchase in Samana in the big gift shop near the Central Park (opposite the city pier).

K

Ken

Re: Whale Information (correction)

I note that the website info that I included in my previous message didn't print. The Home Page of the Whale Net is (http://whale.wheelock.edu). The index of info on whales, dolphins, etc. is (http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet_index.html)

For whale sounds, go to (http://newport.pmel.noaa/gov/whales/whale-calls.html) or to (http://wheelock/edu/whalenet-stuff/sounds). For information on whales in Samana Bay, see (www.samana.org.do). For information on parts of the humpback's body, go to (http://acsonline.org/factpack/humpback.htm). For movies, go to (http://whale.wheelock.edu/movies).

A

Another Gringo in Pto.Pta.

sorry, sorry!!! I give that bad advice.
I was not in the country in 99 and since Iam back I use CaribeTour for larger distance, only have a pasola for POP.
So like they say (and even if the new police have radio), better to stop. But believe me, bevore that was a real business, but they been quiet if you just did a "hello" with your hand and not stopt.
cu/charly

T

Tom

Lucky I guess?

I think one of the funniest incidents I experienced with the Police was on the road from SD to Banai 2 years ago. I was traveling that deserted highway at about 140kph and over the hill I saw a Cop, no two cops. They were standing beside the road, no vehicle to be seen, no obvious radios AND a hand held RADAR gun with the power cord dangling between them. They wanted me to pull over but I decided I didn't want to become involved with whatever scam they were running. When I went past, one of them threw a bottle toward my car

I had another incident in Santo Domingo where a cop had apparently been following us on his own moped for a few blocks. I finally saw him in my mirror on Winston Churchill and stopped. He was livid, saying "I was in big trouble" Myself nor the two people with me didn't understand Spanish and the Officer didn't speak any English. After 10 minutes of his repeating "Big trouble," he removed a USED citation book (The only thing in it were carbon copies of previously issued citations) and he was apparently trying to figure out how much to "fine" me. he finally got around to expressing that he wanted my license. We had just come from the airport so all my credentials were in my carry on in the trunk. I opened the trunk and my carry on, the first wallet I opened was one containing a Law Enforcement Shield. The Cops face sort of "drained of blood", he got on his M/C, made a U turn and headed West on a side street without a word?

Just lucky I guess

Tom

G

Gunnar

Strongly agree!
Stop, be polite, don't argument. If needed, arguments are better
held in front of a judge! A pocket camera can come in handy
if you have the big misfortune to encounter some of the
(nowadays few) bad ones!

I have a (secret) trick to avoid those problems:

Follow traffic rules, even when nobody else does.

It's very efficient, but don't tell anyone. Car insurance
sales people would be fired if everyone knew...

R

Ronald Heyne

Re: Lucky I guess?

Tom,

please excuse my not so perfect english, but what is a "Law Enforcement Shield" AND WHERE DO I GET ONE? ;-)

Ronald

T

Tom

Badge..Become a Police Officer or retire from one :)

H

hillbilly

A word, if you please..

If the police do signal for you to stop, please do so. Smile and be polite.
This will not happen, in all probability, unless you really F*** up.
Drive safely, drive smart, is all we are talking about.

As for whales go to Andy's site and look. There is lots of good info here, too.

HB

B

Bruce

Re: Whale Information (correction)

Can you recommend a tour boat or operator to use to see the whales? Do you know what is the approximate cost of a tour? Any idea how long it would take by bus from Playa Dorada to Samana? Arriving 1/27 & this is on our list of things to do.

D

DeanO

Re: Whale Information (more)

More information available on www.samana.net "Tour Operators" page, they are a couple of them having webpages, with emails and phone numbers, book direct and ask for advise on how to get there. Caribe bus line has a bus living for Samana at 7 a.m. from Puerto Plata.
Hope this help.
DeanO

W

WBDominicana

Tom-you've just gotta love those silver credit cards; bridge any language barriers, too...LOL
Regards,
WBD