rehab of sosua coral

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougiej

Jan 29, 2007
Hey everybody, have the new coral reef "rebuilders" been installed in the bay?
Also, any specifics on areas to snorkel in the actual bay and prices for the boat rental. Seems prices change every year and i just want to get a heads up.
Thanx guys.

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Hi Dougie,
My wife & niece went out with Scuba Elite into Sosua bay last November. Here's a couple of snaps from their dive.
As you can see, the houses have been built but have yet to be inhabited!
Not sure if things have changed since then.

20050101_1023_edited-1.jpg

20050101_1025_edited-1.jpg

Not sure on the prices as they got a four-dive package.

Hope this helps,

Tropical Regards
Reidy
anpalmisl.gif

Last edited:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
People need to stop throwing trash in the river.
That is, according to the Somonca team, what killed the coral in the first place.
There have been plans for various ecologically sound natural filter systems for El Tablon for years now but they still do not exist.

Nice start though.

dougiej

Jan 29, 2007
Seems to be behind just like everything else. Snorkeling in previous years has still yeilded good fish and aquaculture but the coral's shot. I have swam out 150 yards for some good snorkelling from the beach, but the first 25-40 yards, you're still seeing plastic cups, bottles, shorts,etc. It's quite a shame, perhaps in 15-20 years+,the reef will become what it once was. El Tablon is an issue that requires some serious attention real quick.
Regardless, 7 am with a hot coffee, never looked so good.

Reactions: mike l

dougiej

Jan 29, 2007
Sorry guys, missed my point. I've attempted to snorkel a lot of the North Coast and wanted any advice for out of the way spaces, Obscure and isolated. Any advice is so appreciated. Thanx.

P.S On Google earth, Playa Grande golf course has a marker through the main entrance on the ocean. The shot is amazing...... looks like a public ladder on the reef in the background. Any idea how to get there? Thanx.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Hi Dougie,
My wife & niece went out with Scuba Elite into Sosua bay last November. Here's a couple of snaps from their dive.
As you can see, the houses have been built but have yet to be inhabited!
Not sure if things have changed since then.

20050101_1023_edited-1.jpg

20050101_1025_edited-1.jpg

Not sure on the prices as they got a four-dive package.

Hope this helps,

Tropical Regards
Reidy
anpalmisl.gif

Those pics look great and let's hope some lobsters find the garage door open.

This artificial reef will develop nicely if left alone for awhile until it reaches puberty if you get my drift / current.. etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.