Good places for musica typica

amstellite

Bronze
Sep 5, 2007
Hi- I will be going to Santo Domingo the 27th Feb this year. I have been before but find it very hard to find places where I can see bands playing musica typica...it all seems to be pumped in music, never live.. I am particularly thinking of smaller places, maybe even out on the ay to the airport, not the big touristy joints, preferably outside of the tourist zones. Any ideas... for bachata, merengue.....?Somehwere only Dominicans would go.... cheers Mike

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
Hi- I will be going to Santo Domingo the 27th Feb this year. I have been before but find it very hard to find places where I can see bands playing musica typica...it all seems to be pumped in music, never live.. I am particularly thinking of smaller places, maybe even out on the ay to the airport, not the big touristy joints, preferably outside of the tourist zones. Any ideas... for bachata, merengue.....?Somehwere only Dominicans would go.... cheers Mike

Well, it is in a touristy part, but I really enjoy the weekend music performances in the Plaza Espa?a in the zona colonial. They have free, live music presentations (traditional Dominican and other music types) in the plaza and several people- mostly Dominican but not exclusively- show up to listen. A Dominican dance troupe also performs- lots of fun.

One of the best things I've even done, DR or elsewhere, was to go see Fefita La Grande at a car wash. Amazing energy, music and crowd. Get your friends to listen to the Hora Tipica Rafael Agramontes on Radio Fuerzas Armadas, which I believe is 106.9 in Santo Domingo. They play perico ripiao and often give out a list of who's playing and when/where.