Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: arriving to DR/return ticket/possible complications?

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default arriving to DR/return ticket/possible complications?

hei there,here goes another post by me. i would like to know whether,when i arrive to DR,my ticket out has to be to my country of origin (i will be arriving from States and i am from europe).. the reason im asking is,i want to stay in DR, but i know that i have to have a ticket that shows that i'll leave,when i arrive. now,a ticket to europe will cost me about 2.000, while a ticket from SD to,say,Trinidad is about 300. since im not planning on using the ticket,i dont want to waste money on a ticket that i wont use (i prefer to not take chances with the "refunds" and all that). Does anyone know whether i may encounter problems when i arrive to DR (in the airport) because my next ticket is not to the country of my origin,nor to a country which i was coming from? can i just tell them im making a trip to a few latin american countries and havent decided yet where i'll go after Trinidad? i know that my country has an agreement with DR that the citizen can enter with no visa,as a tourist..

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

When you arrive here, DR, I don't think they care what tickets you have! I may be wrong and I know someone will soon tell me if I am. LOL

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The airline you are travelling in on should care and should ask to see a ticket showing you leaving the country. They do not care where or when you leave just that you will leave. Often the cheapest out is to Miami, buy it a year out.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

PrincessaDR- they should ask it at the airport or when i book the flight? what if i book the other flight with a different company?

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Never been asked in departing airport nor SDQ in the DR

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I've never been asked to see a departing ticket. Just buy a one-way and take a chance.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Why would an airline care one way or the other? Perhaps Border Control and Customs might have some interest, but it's no skin off any airline.

I've never been asked, and I have travel without a return ticket on many occasions.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I flew in from the States and am European. I flew in via US and I was asked in the states when I would be leaving the DR and I said I don't know, they weren't bothered.
    I most certainly didn't get asked anything at this end, it was so relaxed I got confused as to what I was supposed to do, sort of just got off the plane paid my $$ and wandered out of the airport into a cab.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

to expat13, catcherintherye- could you tell me more about what happens when you board the plane in the States/arrive to the airport in DR? do they let you on the plane/let you out the airport without asking when you're planning on leaving? also,do they ask you where you will be staying?
    to DRNED- how long ago was it? you went to DR with a one-way ticket?
    sorry if i'm asking too much, i'm just trying to ensure that i won't run into any situation where i'm at the airport and am told that i can't go

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Some travel agencies won't sell you a one-way ticket and some will. The DR law states that you need a return ticket, but it doesn't seem to be enforced.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast